+ Reply to Thread

Thread: selling etiquette

Hybrid View

Default selling etiquette

too much time on my hands today i suppose, but a couple of recent threads got me to thinking about seller and buyer expectations. as a seller, i firmly believe and stick to the first "i'll take it" gets the item. questions as to the condition of the item, request for pics, what type of payment methods etc. do not count as a commitment to buy imho. as a buyer, i would have no different expectations. without resorting to any bashing, i would be genuinely interested in hearing others thoughts on this. looking forward to some lively discussion.

Blog Entries

I can see where "How do I get you the money?" would imply that a purchase was desired, but it was not clear enough to get the message across. Since we can not see each other face to face and do not get or send the additional visual clues we all depend on and take for granted, a better statement might have been, "I want it. How do I get the money to you?" You can always back up and say, "Well, I guess I can't do that. I don't have PayPal." You still have conveyed that you want the item and that the only concern is how to pay for it.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Default Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    I can see where "How do I get you the money?" would imply that a purchase was desired, but it was not clear enough to get the message across. Since we can not see each other face to face and do not get or send the additional visual clues we all depend on and take for granted, a better statement might have been, "I want it. How do I get the money to you?" You can always back up and say, "Well, I guess I can't do that. I don't have PayPal." You still have conveyed that you want the item and that the only concern is how to pay for it.
    This is how I always handle it. I say, "I'll take it (pending the boss' approval)".

The only exchange between buyer and seller should be : Buyer- "I'll take it". Seller posts- SOLD subject to receipt of funds. PERIOD. Any contingency stated by buyer is just THAT, a CONTINGENT sale. Item remains for sale until contingency is agreeably removed. If another acceptable ( more -less-contingent- non contingent) offer is presented, the first deal/non deal is dead. Of course, buyer and seller CAN make ANY ( LEGAL)agreement they wish as long as BOTH are satisfied and there exists tangible consideration.

Mark
    PS: Above "legal" opinion gleaned from my extended ( 1 semester" ) study of Business Law and my recollection of the Uniform Commercial Code

Mark
    Last edited by Marco; 11-18-2009 at 04:24 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    PS: Above "legal" opinion gleaned from my extended ( 1 semester" ) study of Business Law and my recollection of the Universal Commercial Code

Mark
    Gettin' all high falutin' with your talk like that could get you banned from Wyoming for life. Better be careful.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Blog Entries

first "I'll take it" buys it.
    Any questions are tire kicking, not a commitment.
    and in my opinion p.m.s are a nice back up but the post should be here as it keeps the rest of us wondering if it has been sold.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    Gettin' all high falutin' with your talk like that could get you banned from Wyoming for life. Better be careful.
    I already forwarded a copy of this thread and Mark's picture to the Wyoming authorities.

That being said, I'd rather be in Montana. Oh ..... wait a minute .... I am.
    The fish are always right.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Wink You're probably not going to be thrilled by this.

The first I'll take it, doesn't always mean they'll follow through with the sale. In the interim, other interested parties may have moved on.

The way I view it, it's my property until I accept payment. Until then, I'll decide to whom it will be sold or given away to.
    More frequently than not, I'm now checking the posting history of respondents. If I deem them active contributing members of the board, they'll receive preferential treatment and until that policy is disallowed by the administration, I'll continue to use that as my guide. Based on my experiences, I'm not about to do business with anyone whose entire posting history is limited to the classified section.

Best, Dave

I tend to agree with Dave E on this. I could see why you would be a little apprehensive selling something to someone who only posts in the classifieds or has very few posts. Doing a little looking into the person's background on the board would be beneficial.....to kind of get a feel for who you are dealing with.

I've never sold anything here, but I've bought a few things. I've never had anything remotely bad happen. All transactions were smooth and timely. But that's just a reflection of the way this board works.

my 2 cents
    Brian

dave e, i like your ideas as well. certainly contingencies such as a buyer not following thru are things to take into consideration. i guess my main point is that questions about an item or expressing an interest in said item does not guarantee you that item. have seen it on this and other forums when folks get their panties in a bunch and feel as if they've been screwed, but ultimately never actually committed to buying something. bottom line is the item is the seller's and he can decide who he wants to sell to, period.

+ Reply to Thread