I remember with great admiration, the courageous men who flew the "Huey" in into Hot Landing Zones (LZ's) to pull the wounded out. They were the difference between life and death for many wounded soldiers.

Records from Vietnam show that over 67% of wounded soldiers, that were rescued by the "Dust Off" crews, survived their wounds.

During my tours in Vietnam, I rode on "Huey's" countless times. I owe my life to a courageous crew, who's heroic efforts are responsible for me being alive today.

There was no armament on the "Huey's", and many flying crews perished with their birds, coming to the aid of the ground troops!

Huey's had a distinct sound, as they approached the "LZ's" the blades on the "Huey" had a distinctive "Whomp Whomp" sound.

Huey's carried troops into battle, they retrieved wounded troops to safety and medical care, they resupplied the ground troops with food and ammo.

The fuel tank on the "Huey" was held in a self-sealing rubber bladder in the belly , and many times the Huey's came back, all shot up in the main cabin just above the fuel bladders, with the soldiers all shot to Hell.

Courageous Airmen, many of who lost their lives attempting to rescue others!

Platoon Sergeant Steven H. McGarthwaite
1968 -1995, U.S. Army Retired.