+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT_ Huey for Those that flew them and flew in them

Arrow

Thats the only chopper I ever flew in and liked it very much, but the same as Lotech, I never saw combat,,,
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Quote Originally Posted by Grubb View Post
    Thats the only chopper I ever flew in and liked it very much, but the same as Lotech, I never saw combat,,,
    We were lucky.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    We were lucky.
    Very...The best time I had was in an N model flying NOE in the Sandia Mountains in NM with a studen pilot from Air Rescue...
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

It's a good ole work horse and has served the country well. Being a REMF with the ARNG I have never had anyone trying to shot me down but I have rode in and work on the UH-1B, D, H & M. Too many moving parts for reliable transport, but if you need to transport more than 4 people to remote locations with limited aircraft facilities get in the slick. Now if there are only 4 of you and one can drive get the LOH (OH-6A) one of Mr Hughes' finer efforts.

My college room mate with 11,500+ flying hours had a Huey cyclic in his hand when gravity reached up and pulled him to the ground. His best friend, who he talked into dropping out of his MBA program, was shot down 3 times flying dustoffs up near the DMZ. He's buying timber in No. MS now. They were friend to the end.

Thanks for all the crazy things you did guys.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Loved flying in them. Always remember the sound as they came to pick us out of the jungle. Loved riding the skids as we were taken from one place to another. Only landed in hot LZ's in the 46's with the 50's out the window. Used to sit outside Hue and watch the huey's work. Many good memories and many not so good. But I loved them and still hear one once in a while. Rest of my family thinks I nuts, I hear them 30 seconds before they know they are near.....LOL. But those rides and sounds will never go away.
    The Men who flew them and the crew I have always admired. I marvel at their dedication to come in hot and pick us out and MedEvac the wounded under intense fire and still get off the ground.
    Thank you so much for being there and giving us the very best of yourselves.

Bill
    Sgt. USMC
    68-69, Leatherneck Square, Hue, Phu Bai
    M Co 3/3 and 3rd CAG

Just have to add some background--As a 16 year old I watched Igor Sikorsky fly IGORS NIGHMARE. one of the first in 1939. It had fan belts from the engine to the roters. Fan belts everywhere. Flew one hour and thirty minutes--for show it hovered a few feet off the ground a man walked up to it and added a suit case to the craft and it flew away. Later a model had to fly from Conn to Wright Field in Ohio using road signs and stopping people for directions. The first model use to hang in the Conn state building at the New England Fair. Wish we had them in that other war---

My two boys and I had a ride in a Bell with the glass dome cockpit. Crazy kids told the pilot I flew in WWll. The tourist ride was a slow climb level off and ride ---not ours. Afoot of the ground,forward tilt,down the valley thru the trees, water spray at the lake. Yes we should have had them in WWll BILL

Mr. Fitzgerald, I would love to be able to sit down and chat with you. Obviously you have been there and done that and enjoyed life along the way. The note about the first cross country helicopter flight is great, the pilots I spent time with in the National Guard were always saying IFR meant I Follow Roads, I guess it really does. Some of the guys were accused of hovering at traffic lights when they turned red.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread