+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OT_ Huey for Those that flew them and flew in them

Hybrid View

nighthawk Guest

Default OT_ Huey for Those that flew them and flew in them

Thought some of you guys and gals would appreciate a little trip back in time to the flights in that wonderful UH-1H "Huey" Iroquois helicopter. Those of you that don't know what I am talking about really need to watch this video. You will find out a little bit of what we used to go through.

Crank up your audio, tighten your belts and hang on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeBcTV5-5E8

God I loved flying in them and flying them!
    Last edited by nighthawk; 11-17-2009 at 04:01 AM.

Smile Thanks!!!

Blackhawks are a nicer ride, but that's my favorite ride...No doubt about it!
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

Eric,
    Thanks for the memories!
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Default God Bless the Airmen, who flew the "Huey" Helicopters

I remember with great admiration, the courageous men who flew the "Huey" in into Hot Landing Zones (LZ's) to pull the wounded out. They were the difference between life and death for many wounded soldiers.

Records from Vietnam show that over 67% of wounded soldiers, that were rescued by the "Dust Off" crews, survived their wounds.

During my tours in Vietnam, I rode on "Huey's" countless times. I owe my life to a courageous crew, who's heroic efforts are responsible for me being alive today.

There was no armament on the "Huey's", and many flying crews perished with their birds, coming to the aid of the ground troops!

Huey's had a distinct sound, as they approached the "LZ's" the blades on the "Huey" had a distinctive "Whomp Whomp" sound.

Huey's carried troops into battle, they retrieved wounded troops to safety and medical care, they resupplied the ground troops with food and ammo.

The fuel tank on the "Huey" was held in a self-sealing rubber bladder in the belly , and many times the Huey's came back, all shot up in the main cabin just above the fuel bladders, with the soldiers all shot to Hell.

Courageous Airmen, many of who lost their lives attempting to rescue others!

Platoon Sergeant Steven H. McGarthwaite
    1968 -1995, U.S. Army Retired.

Eric,

Like you and Parnelli, I spent a great deal of my life in one of our beloved "Huey's". They were our main mode of transportation into and out of battle in Viet Nam, and as Parn said, those unarmed Dustoff birds saved countless lives.

Nothing matches the thrill of going into an LZ, standing on the skids of a Huey. When the bird flares a bit you just jump from whatever height your at. The last friendly sound you hear is the whomp whomp of the Huey's rotor blades as they fade in the distance.

Something about those grand old birds just makes ya feel safe.

REE

P.S. I don't think I ever rode in a Huey that had the seats in it. That looks different.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Eagle Elk View Post
    Eric,

Like you and Parnelli, I spent a great deal of my life in one of our beloved "Huey's". They were our main mode of transportation into and out of battle in Viet Nam, and as Parn said, those unarmed Dustoff birds saved countless lives.

Nothing matches the thrill of going into an LZ, standing on the skids of a Huey. When the bird flares a bit you just jump from whatever height your at. The last friendly sound you hear is the whomp whomp of the Huey's rotor blades as they fade in the distance.

Something about those grand old birds just makes ya feel safe.

REE

P.S. I don't think I ever rode in a Huey that had the seats in it. That looks different.
    We had them we just left them stowed at FARP unless you were flying in the C'n'C bird hauling ash and trash. Pain in the *** when you are trying to move from gunner station to gunner station. Never stood on the skid going into an LZ because I was hanging onto the butterfly handles of a M60 Delta.

I was primarily attack helicopter and Scouts at that, so I didn't get to haul you guys much. The few times I did well I have all of the respect in the world for the infantry no matter what branch!

The Huey flies a lot like it looks. Solid and will not surprise you when you are at the controls. The Black Hawk is a good bird, faster, more agile and can carry more cargo over a longer range. However, the Black Hawk, even today, is nowhere near as reliable as the UH-1H model of the Huey. The Black Hawk electronic engine controls will bite you quick. The engine failure rate is now down to about three times that of the Huey with it's mechanical/analog engine controls.

Wish I could have got you guys a front seat ride in a Cobra. You know that feeling you get as your feet leave the high dive board and you begin to accelerate through space downward toward the water with nothing around you but space? That is what a front seat ride in a Cobra is like all of the time. You are in a nice flight and all of a sudden the guy in the backs seat (pilot) rolls the Cobra over upside down. He pulls back on the controls until the aircraft's nose, and yours, is rushing straight for the ground. You are screaming, he is singing and the aircraft is groaning. He pulls up about 50 feet off of the ground, says "That was fun" and all you see is teeth in the mirror that lets you make eye contact with the pilot. Cussing at him will get you the most hair raising nap of the earth flight back to the home LZ you can imagine with him laughing all the way.

Joe, Steve, Dave, Parnelli , REE and you Eric give true meaning to Our United States of America being the home of the brave!

Thank you to each one of you outstanding gentlemen, I am forever in your debt!

Yours truly,

Steve Molcsan
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 11-18-2009 at 12:39 AM.
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Eagle Elk View Post
    Eric,

Seats. That's what Helmets were for when you went into a hot zone.

Thanks for the posting. It reminded me of good times & bad times but time mellows out the bad times......
    Last edited by FISHN50; 11-18-2009 at 01:53 AM.

Arrow

Thats the only chopper I ever flew in and liked it very much, but the same as Lotech, I never saw combat,,,
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Loved flying in them. Always remember the sound as they came to pick us out of the jungle. Loved riding the skids as we were taken from one place to another. Only landed in hot LZ's in the 46's with the 50's out the window. Used to sit outside Hue and watch the huey's work. Many good memories and many not so good. But I loved them and still hear one once in a while. Rest of my family thinks I nuts, I hear them 30 seconds before they know they are near.....LOL. But those rides and sounds will never go away.
    The Men who flew them and the crew I have always admired. I marvel at their dedication to come in hot and pick us out and MedEvac the wounded under intense fire and still get off the ground.
    Thank you so much for being there and giving us the very best of yourselves.

Bill
    Sgt. USMC
    68-69, Leatherneck Square, Hue, Phu Bai
    M Co 3/3 and 3rd CAG

+ Reply to Thread