+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ugly stik fly rods

Hybrid View

Default Ugly stik fly rods

Has anyone ever tried one? I am going to buy a new rod for the Kenai for reds. Any other rods in that price range? I like Ugly Stiks for AK and they are indestructable

They cast poorly compared to most rods - kind of clunky. They are nearly indestructible. I know people with $700 rods that also have a couple of Ugly Stiks for backups or knock around boat rods for saltwater angling. An acquaintance went on a Tarpon trip last year to a lodge in Costa Rica last year. This was river tarpon fishing with sinking lines. The rods provided by the lodge were Ugly Stiks matched with high end reels. My friend liked the rods for that type of fishing since they were powerful lifting rods and the casting did not need to be pretty.

On the Kenai you only flip and not really cast as the Sockeye run right next to shore. you only fish the 15ft next to the bank or so.

They would work well for that. And you can really put a bend in those rods if needed.

The Redington Crosswater is a great setup for saltwater, they offer it in 2 (around $ 110) and 4 (around $ 130) pieces. I shopped around for a couple of months and decided to get that one. I love it and most likely will buy more later on.

I almost bought an ugly stick (10 wt) a while back but I never got to cast with it. If you decide to buy it please let us know how you liked it. The good thing about buying it at Wally's is that you can always return it in case it doesn't do it for ya.
    Good luck
    Last edited by Martin McFly; 11-17-2009 at 05:04 AM.
    I believe I can fly fish

Had a couple of these.

Cast just fine for me until I tried something 'better'? More advanced? Lighter? Whatever you'd want to call it, the lighter all graphite rods do seem to cast with less effort.

That being said, once you get used to them, they cast just fine. It's all in the technique, and once you are in tune with ANY rod, you can control it. The way they flex reminds me of a cane rod. You can really 'feel' them load/unload. LOTS of power there.

The Ugly Sticks are strong. I kept mine for a while as back up rods, just in case. If I was ever to travel to some exotic destination overseas, I'd certainly stick one or two in the rod tube....I doubt even airport baggage handlers could break one of these. I'd feel well prepared with these in my arsenal if I was attempting Peacocks or such in the jungle. etc..

The ones I had were eventually given away to folks that wanted them..one, a 9 wt., is still in regular use for a bass fisherman friend of mine...he fishes the Delta areas in Ca., and uses it to throw 4/0 weedless deer hair bugs and haul large bass out of the grass. Rod has to be over twenty five years old and still going strong.

Now, if the mainstream fly rod companies could just realign their R&D into producing a light, all graphite fly rod that's as durable as the Ugly Stick....(sigh...I can still dream...)

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I have only wiggled them while wandering the isles in Walmart. I would say they are a full flexing rod but I have never casted one. I have no Idea what they cost???? $30-50. If they are as tough as their spinning rods I would say they are pretty industrucable. I'm not sure how enjoyable they will be to fish with and control. If you want a decent rod I think you need to spend around $100 for a St Croix, TFO or Redington starter rod. The rods in the $50 range have very cheap components and plastic reel seats that would fail over time. My son and I were in Sportmans Wherehouse the other day and picked up a Redingtion RS4 for $54.95 9' 9wt 4-pc they were closing out. I think you should cast a few rods with a hookless fly you intend to fish. If the Ugly Stick suits you needs then go for it.

Good Luck,

Jet
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author

I fished an Ugly Stick fly rod on the Russian River for many years.

Then one year I saw a Lamiglas fly rod on sale at the Great Alaskan Sportsman's Show and I bought it. It made fishing the Russian so much more enjoyable!

More recently I bought a Loomis GL3 rod on closeout. I haven't used the rod yet, but itwill be my new Russian River rod.

I have one and only used it for big bass bugs and musky flys. Still have it, just collecting dust. Keep it as a backup now for musky.

I fish a 10wt in the surf a lot ,like every other week.
    Thats when the wind is not up.
    It handles stripers and blues just fine.

Wet
    Working Trout Bum

+ Reply to Thread