+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6' Furled leader peg locations

Hybrid View

Default 6' Furled leader peg locations

With a 6' furled leader, where are everyone's pegs located at. Right side/left side. I just want to see if there's a difference between all the furlers here or if everyone sticks pretty much to the same peg locations.
    One more question- are all getting a true 6' length from them or just close to it. With so many people doing it I am just plain curious as to the outcome.
    I'm just picking on 6' length for no special reason.

The furled leaders I make for my use are 7', but, if I were making a 6' furled leader, the distances between my pegs would be:

25" between Peg #1 and Peg #2

30" between Peg #2 and Peg #4

30" between Peg #4 and Peg #3 (#3 peg is the tippet end Peg)

This gives you a length of 85"

Minus 10% after twisting gives you a length of 76.5" which divided by 12" gives you a furled leader length of 6.375 feet. After you make a shorb loop in both ends you should have a 6' furled leader or very close to it. All material will be different, but, you should be pretty close to 6'.

Hope this helps....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Mojo,

If I'm hearing you correctly...you probably aren't interested so much in the specifics but to see how much we vary.

I have formed some opinions about that.

Seems to me most folks on this site use the Kathy Scott DVD formula which is a 2 step formula....I used to also....no more....I use Parnelli's "Big Furled Leader Formulas".....you can use however many steps /tapers you want and you can use however many strands you want.....and whatever lengths

e,g. I just went steelheading and wanted a robust 6 ft fluorocarbon leader....

I chose 4# Vanish Transition...it's the heaviest...I chose to do it in 4 steps...steps = the # of pegs not counting the butt or tippet end pegs...don't confuse steps with taper....

I chose a 4.5 - 3.5 -2.5 - 3.5- 4.5 series of loops...somewhat arbitrary...and I was going to use an 8 wt.

To get to your basic question... that gave peg positions of 34 - 54-67-76- 86 inches'

If I was going to use a different series of loops the peg positions would have been different....

The material I was using and the weights I was using gave me an 11% reduction....the finished leader was 73 inches without the shorb loops...

Incidentally, it fished beautifully...

Now how many twists you put in it is another whole bag of worms.....

Having said all this .....

I have come to the conclusion that furled leaders are so efficient that the lesser sophisticated ones are probably not noticeably less functional than the more sophisticated to most of us.
    Last edited by ducksterman; 11-16-2009 at 03:39 PM.

Warren,

Some time ago I gave Parnelli figures for a Kathy type leader but using Parnelli peg positions.....

You said you were going to give them a try and compare....never have heard back.....what were your conclusions?????

"Warren,

Some time ago I gave Parnelli figures for a Kathy type leader but using Parnelli peg positions.....

You said you were going to give them a try and compare....never have heard back.....what were your conclusions????? "

I did make up a furled leader using the figures you posted and it produced a very strong and agressive leader that would be great for a 7wt or larger rod, but, too strong and agressive for smaller weight rods in my opinion. Just casting the leader by holding the butt end and doing a casting stroke was very impressive. I did not like it on my 5wt and smaller rods. It seemed like "over kill" and over powered the smaller weight rods plus it was "stiffer" than my regular 10-8-6 furled leader. This, again, is just my opinion.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Interesting....we may be talking about variabilities depending on the material....and of course our needs.....my first impression is you are telling me ...for what you were using.... the formulas were too efficient????

Mojo....I hope this hasn't been a hijack....but it may be addressing what was behind your post....

Edit: Warren...thinking on this makes me wonder....I can see it should lay out more efficiently but if you used the same material and number of strands I don't understand how those other qualities would change...it's still a 2 step leader also??????????????????
    Last edited by ducksterman; 11-16-2009 at 03:56 PM.

+ Reply to Thread