+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (nn ff) Need digital camera recommendation for mom

Question (nn ff) Need digital camera recommendation for mom

Hey folks,

My mom wants a digital camera this Christmas to take pictures of the family. She has never used digital. She has been a film user forever and still has an old Brownie box camera she used as a child. She doesn't want us to spend more than $100. Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!
    Trout don't speak Latin.

For Cary's birthday I got an Olympus point and shoot ... basic basic. Very close to $100, but don't remember exactly. Got it at Wally world. Not much of a learning curve, and it takes wonderful pictures! Has zoom and macro.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Hey TF,
    Why in the world would you think this place would be a good place to ask for opinions on
    cameras?

Mark

Blog Entries

Default Digital Cameras

Tyrone,

Here is a link to the Wally World digital cameras that are under $100. You want a very basic point and shoot, and let the camera do the rest.

http://www.walmart.com/browse/Camera...&catNavId=3959

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hey TF,
    Why in the world would you think this place would be a good place to ask for opinions on
    cameras?

Mark
    Marco, I don't know what I was thinking.

Betty, thank you for the Wally World suggestion.

Sagefisher, thanks for the link. I did not know their was that much of a selection on digital cameras for $100 or less.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I like Canon and Sony cameras, personally. I'd also recommend NOT getting one that runs off AA-syle batteries, but to get something that has a "unique" rechargable battery. It seems that the AA-type rechargable batteries never keep a charge.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by quivira kid View Post
    I like Canon and Sony cameras, personally. I'd also recommend NOT getting one that runs off AA-syle batteries, but to get something that has a "unique" rechargable battery. It seems that the AA-type rechargable batteries never keep a charge.
    Put the lithium AA batteries in them and you will actually be able to operate in a wider range of temperatures with longer battery life than the OEM battery packs. You will also save money over buying the OEM long life packs if they are available for your camera.

One of my favorite winter cameras is a little Canon A580 Powershot that the late, great Harold Hattaway recommended to me. Consider picking up a little higher quality used camera from a reputable dealer on amazon or EBay too.

These are tough little cameras with that classic, great Canon quality. On Amazon used for under $100. We paid about $200 for ours. Look at this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

Stick with a brand name on these if you can as it does make a difference. Oh, Samsung cameras are made by Pentax.
    Last edited by nighthawk; 11-16-2009 at 02:41 AM.

If you have a Micro Center Store near by they have some great deals on refurbs. Refurbs have been repaired and 100% quality checked according to a friend who worked in the electronics industry. I had a little Sony that worked great until I got inverted in the river with it in my pocket.

I know there are so many knowledge phototogs here (of which I am not one) that someone may have a good suggestion. I want a viewer, the kind you look through, on my next camera. The LCD displays can be hard to see in bright sunlight.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

If you have a Micro Center Store near by they have some great deals on refurbs. Refurbs have been repaired and 100% quality checked according to a friend who worked in the electronics industry.

I agree with that Uncle Jesse

My "main" camera is a SLR Canon 20D but there's times I don;t want to lug around a full big SLR and 200mm lens so I bought a Refurb Nikon Coolpix from Microcenter about 5 yrs ago for $119. There's still many times I stick that in my vest and use it on trips. Takes great pics and is super easy to use. Can;t bet the refurb cam's from Microcenter, I love that store!

Steve

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to check to see if we have a microcenter around here.

I checked out a Canon A480. The price is right and it gets good reviews. I am still not sure if that is the one for mom so I'll keep checking out suggestions since there is time.

I'll be checking out Olympus cameras latter on today at the local camera shop.

Again, thanks for the replies. Really good information.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread