+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reels

Default Reels

is it bad to get your reel submerged or does it not matter? I all ways try to keep it dry but i see some ppl act like it doesnt matter?

2. Default

In fresh water it shouldn't matter. Allow it to dry before storing in a reel case, and if it is submerged often, clean and lightly lubricate it periodically.

Salt water is a whole different thing.

Blog Entries

I don't see much utility in a reel that you cannot get wet. I do submerge mine on occasions, either accidentally or intentionally, and I have yet to have a reel fail on me, in 20,000+ hours of flyfishing.

Well, there was that time I dunked the reel when it was below freezing, and took off the spool to shake the water out so it would not freeze, and the drag ring came flying off and vanished in the river, but someone found it later that day and I got it back!

Good idea to keep them lubricated and clean them periodically. Also, putting a reel down in sand or dust is a good way to get them full of stuff.

Blog Entries

Default Water vs Reels

garb72,

Like DG said, reels are going to get wet and george9219 is right on when he says to dry it out before you store it away.

The early reels and some of the ones that are still sold today were Click & Pawl reels, that was the description of the drag system. Mainly it means that you palm the reel if a big fish takes off on you.

The newer reels have some form of a disc or cone drag system. Some of those are not waterproof or water resistant and will get wet if dunked. For some it doesn?t matter and for others the drag system is somewhat compromised for a while until it dries out.

Many of the newer reels have closed drag systems that can withstand a dunking in the water and not be compromised.

Saltwater and the salt and sand granules are a killer on any type of reel as are the sand granules you can collect in fresh water, say along a sand bar or a lakes edge. Reels as well as the lines must be cleaned after each use if you expose them to salt or sand. That will really prolong the life of your reel and line. By the way, even on those reels, I still palm the reel when I hook a salmon, no sense in stressing the drag system too much.

If you are worried about the water compromising your drag system just buy a reel that has a closed drag and is made for saltwater usage. Not all reels are saltwater capable so if you are going to fish the salt make sure it is made for that as well.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Quote Originally Posted by garb72
    is it bad to get your reel submerged or does it not matter?
    It depends on the reel and the type of fish you are going after. If you are fishing for smaller fish or fish that are not likely to make hard faast runs then the drag system really isn't going to matter since its not likely to be tested. But if you are after chasing Bones, Salmon, Steelhead or large Carp that are going to test your drag then having a drag that won't fail you if it gets wet is a big concern. Unfortunately right now three of my main Salmon / saltwater reels have drags that fade terribly if they get wet. I try to keep them dry but a couple of weeks ago while trying to pose for a picture with a fresh King I managed to drop my rod into the stream and suddenly found myself without a drag on the next fish I hooked, which was a very big problem. Another one of my reels becomes very jerky or grabby when it accidentally gets dunked, which is probably worse than when the drag fades completely.

Tight Lines and Scream'n Reels!

I dip mine in the water all the time. No ill effects.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

The biggest problem is when fishing below freezing and having water get into your drag and freeze or freezing your line on your reel. If your not fishing below 32F then dont worry about it.

+ Reply to Thread