+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cape Cod, MA

Default Cape Cod, MA

I will be visiting relatives in South Yarmouth & Brewster in July 2006. My question is: Should I bring a fly rod,where and what species is available?
    Thanks in advance,
    Mike

I contacted several guides in the area before my trip and found theit information very useful. I used their tackle. (wish I had brought some of my own rods... LOL)

We had a great day of fishing. I was wishing for something smaller and lighter than that 9wt and sinking line until we hooked that 38 inch striper.... and that was a small one????

Have fun,
    Aloha,
    Stan

Mike - drop me an email alec@favoriteflies.com

How do you spell WORLD CLASS fishing

Stripers and Bluefish are readily available. July is not the best month, but good enough. I always take my rod during that time of year and you should as well. You can fish the surf, the flats or the estuaries. All are productive.

jed

Hi Mike, RW here

My wife and I did Cape Cod for over 10 years twice a year in late April and early October in the 90's. Besides the salt, there are over 300 kettle ponds on the Cape full of smallmouth bass and trout, and I mean nice trout. July would be a tough call for me to direct you because it's the heat of summer and a lot of tourists take summer vacations there... a lot of swimming and boating, kids running around and so forth. But a lot of the ponds are fairly remote too. Many people don't know how great the freshwater fishing is on the Cape because most anglers go there for stripers and blues. Check with the tackle shops when you first get there. Unless you ask, they probably won't mention the freshwater stuff, and I suppose in July the saltwater action will be great. But if you're into freshwater species don't over look the ponds. I'd start by checking out Nickerson State Park in Brewster.

Later RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

[url=http://www.capecodoutdoors.com:dcb05]http://www.capecodoutdoors.com[/url:dcb05] [url=http://www.flyfishsaltwaters.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi:dcb05]http://www.flyfishsaltwaters.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi[/url:dcb05]

Like Jed said, WORLD CLASS.

------------------
    "too much of anything is bad, but too much whisky is just enough"
    Mark Twain
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

There is some great fishing there for sure. July can be a bit tough as the resident fish are getting educated. Do yourself a favor and contact Randy Jones at [url=http://www.yankeeangler.com:cb203]www.yankeeangler.com[/url:cb203] . Randy is a fantastic guide who has worked some of Orvis's Saltwater Schools out there. The great thing about Randy is he is a great teaching guide. So, book a day with him early on in your stay. During that day you'll learn just what you need to know to catch fish on your own the rest of the time you are out there. He does not guide out of a boat. You walk and wade the flats and beaches. Most guides are not going to tall you what you need to know in order to fish on your own but that's just what Randy does. I have fished with Randy out there and know a lot of others who have as well and everyone loves him. I'm looking forward to getting out with him again this summer as well.

------------------
    Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish
    If it has fins and swims than I must chase it!

Mike, the Cape in July is as good as it gets, bring 2 rods!!
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Remind us 'bout a month before you show up; as Micus would put it, we'll singe your taste buds.

Thanks to all for your replies. As you can guess, I am a trout fisherman. I have never fished the salt and my largest rod is a 6wt. The ponds sound good as I fish small lakes from a u-boat, pontoon boat and my 11ft mini drift with an electric motor. I will make contact as the time gets closer. Thanks again.
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread