+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pentax Optio ws80

Hybrid View

Default Pentax Optio ws80

I know we've talked about cameras until blue in the face, but I haven't seen any info on this particular model. I had my mind made up on the Olympus Stylus 1050, but the macro just didn't quite cut it for the close-up work on flies. Then I was decided about the w60 from Pentax, but, as I was shopping for best price this ws80 kept popping up. This is not the w80 at 12mp, but a new model ws80 at 10mp. Anyone out there know anything about this camera? It's a bit less in price than the w60. Any opinions as to where to find the best price on any of the w60's or the ws80?
    Also, as a side note, anyone know which camera spinner1 finally settled on?

Thanks for your help,

Kelly.
    Last edited by kglissmeyer; 11-13-2009 at 03:56 PM.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Normand Guest

to find a low or lowest price, go to GOOGLE and type in "pentax optio w80 lowest price" or use the "my simon" site and do the same thing.

to do a comparison, go to pentax and print out the specs for each camera and see whats different.
    Last edited by Normand; 11-13-2009 at 03:40 PM.

The important difference to me would be the waterproof rated depth.
    w60: 13 ft.
    w80: 16 ft.
    ws80: 5 ft.

Quote Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
    The important difference to me would be the waterproof rated depth.
    w60: 13 ft.
    w80: 16 ft.
    ws80: 5 ft.
    If I and the camera are 5 or more feet underwater, I have bigger issues than what is happening to the camera.

Roy

Thumbs up

Roy!!! LoL!!! Thanks!

Sometimes we all get caught up on tech stuff, gear, ... kinda forget what's important!!
    Christopher Chin

Quote Originally Posted by RoyC View Post
    If I and the camera are 5 or more feet underwater, I have bigger issues than what is happening to the camera.

Roy
    I would think most cameras are dropped in the water as opposed to taking a swim.

Still looking for anyone that knows how this camera is in the field. It appears the super macro feature may not exist on this model as it does on the w60 and w80.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Quote Originally Posted by kglissmeyer View Post
    I know we've talked about cameras until blue in the face, but I haven't seen any info on this particular model.

Kelly.
    http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I don't see anything about the macro capabilities listed in the specs or in review on the WS80 therefore I am left to assume that it does not have the same macro ability that the W60 (i have) or W80 has. I needed that ability in the camera I was looking at and the its the big reason I went with the Pentax W60 over the Canon or Olympus models. This was the second thing on my list of must haves.
    Waterproof was first. I didn't need great depths...because this is a fishing camera...not a diving camera.

(these aren't the greatest macros but you'll get the idea of what I'm looking to take photos of)

These Trico's are very small. I was fishing #26 at the time. The photo is not that good because it's tough holding onto the camera and shoot with one hand while trying to hold the tricos for the shot, standing in the river with a rod also in hand. Add wind and not time to set up and take a good shot. I think that with a tripod this could have been really cool. As it is...it's out of focus but you still see details you can't (or I can't) see with the naked eye.

Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 11-16-2009 at 08:49 PM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

More photos...

#18 Para Patriot ...no fancy lighting.

As camera's go...it takes nice photos, does a decent job at video clips but not so great sound. I think it was the user (me) and I'll sort that out sometime. I'm not crazy about how well the lens handles lower light conditions. I find the photos grainy but then...it may still be the user's fault. There are a lot of bells and whistles on this little point and shoot that I haven't learned to use yet. I really like SLRs for the quality lenses and photos they produce but all I really need these days is a good little companion camera for when I'm fishing. The SLRs are too big, to bulky and too expensive for those unexpected swims.

The W60 was at my price point...the W80 came out days after I got the W60. I'm not sure I would have upgraded if I had the choice.
    We're getting into the realm of pixel overload too. I wouldn't put more pixels on my list of must haves anymore. The only thing I miss is manual focus and it's taking some getting used to not having a view finder. In bright light I have a hard time seeing the LED viewer screen....and under water it doesn't matter...it's just point, guess, shoot and hope for the best. The photo of this fish was all luck and no talent.
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 11-16-2009 at 08:34 PM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

+ Reply to Thread