Hi Redquill, any Spey rod will be o.k. to learn on, as long as it is set up with the right line. If you want to learn traditional Spey casting then you will need a full Spey line, the best way to learn is to start with a medium length spey head. If you want to learn Scandi you will need a scandi line and if you want to learn Skagit you will need a Skagit line with tips.
Yes it is confusing but you will get the hang of it all fairly quickly. If you can, get some lessons or attend a Spey clave.
This is a good place to start.http://speypages.com/speyclave/
One thing to keep in mind is that a spey rod rating is not the same as a single hander, a #9 spey would be more like an #11 or #12 single hander so you need to decide what you are going to use the rod for. If you are targeting trout I would suggest a rod of about #5 and 12 ft, Big trout and smaller steelhead probably #6 or 7 13ft and big river - big steelhead and/or Salmon need the big guns #8, 9, 10 and about 14 or 15ft.
Just to confuse matters a bit further you might want to consider a Switch rod!
Feel free to P.M. me if I can be of any help with any questions. I am only a beginer with the Spey myself but will help if I can.
All the best.
Mike.