+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often....

Default How often....

do you ever have a trout take a fly and have it not hook in his mouth but deep in its throat?
    Last edited by garb72; 11-12-2009 at 08:10 AM.

Normand Guest

i'v had it happen a few times. i'm sure most of us have.

Yes. Usually it is one of those hyperactive 5 inch brookies trying to gobble a #10 fly.

Tim

I'm lucky if they get hooked at all.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Cold Guest

I haven't been fly fishing very long, but I'll say over the past year, I've had it happen twice. Once was nymphing in a deep slow pool, and I just never detected the strike. The other time was a dry fly that got inhaled and I had too much slack in my line, and by the time I set the hook, it was back a little farther than I'd have liked.

Luckily, in both cases, the hook never really set deep. I was able to just turn the hook at a slight angle and the fly slid right out.

Not often. The last one was a brown years ago that took a nymph and was microns short of being legal size...
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

Hi,

I've had it happen, but not often. I've been told that using glo-bug (egg) patterns in a lake, where the technique is to cast out where cruising fish are, then leave it until the fish comes along and sucks it up results in deeper hook sets like that. I tend not to fish egg patterns as a result, though I don't know if this also occurs in moving water. Probably not as I would suspect they are grabbed more quickly, like nymphs.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Quote Originally Posted by Panman View Post
    Yes. Usually it is one of those hyperactive 5 inch brookies trying to gobble a #10 fly.

Tim
    hahahaha so true!
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    Never thirsty, ever drinking,
    All in mail never clinking.
    - Riddle

Blog Entries

It happens to me on occasion, with dries, streamers, and nymphs. Someone made the observation about glo bugs earlier this season, so I started paying attention, and since then, I have not had a deep hooking with a glo bug, in a couple hundred fish. Moving water, however.

This IS a blood sport. You will kill fish, as long as you are having fish eat your fly. The only way to avoid completely the possibility of accidental kill is to not fish.

In all honesty, I can't recall the last time I've had this happen.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

+ Reply to Thread