+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Loop Rods

Default Loop Rods

Hello fellow fly fishers:

I was wondering if any of you fish loop rods and if so what you think of them. I recently received a Loop AEG 905/3 for a gift and must say it is a wonderful rod. I was recently in the eastern Sierras here in California, and used this rod most of the week and really enjoyed it. It has a very pleasing medium fast action and with a RIO gold WF 5 F line the rod cast long and short very well. One of the best fish of the week was a 17" wonderfully colored rainbow that was sipping midges about two feet from the bank in about a foot of water. The Loop rod made this delicate short cast great and on the second cast I hooked this fish, it ran into the current near a weed bed and the fight was on. The Loop turned this fish with no problems and I was able land it and release it quickly.

The build quilty of the rods is first class and it has a very unique, beautifully machined reel seat. The grip is this synthetic/ rubberized cork blend that is very confortable and durable. All in all a great rod that I am very happy to own. In other fly fishing maddeness I recently tried the Sage 99 4 wt. This rod was awsome and is designed what for what I do most fish bobber and nymph fishing. I see a 99 4 wt. blank in the near future.

Lanny

Hi Apachetrout.

I own an old Blue Line Loop rod (#5 for trout), although it's on the low end of the line it's a very good rod which I still use a lot.

I think that Loop rods are excelent products, Loop lines are IMO among the best lines there is, if not the best.
    Their reels are also very good as are their other products which I know of.

Recently I bougth new waders which leak so I fixed my old Loop waders with Aquaseal and they don't leak any more, they are now 10 years old

The bad thing is the Loop products are very expensive, I would buy more of them if I had the money.

Thorarinn.

I have to add that the rods bend differently than US rods or they did at least 10 years back.
    They don't have/had stiff end, they bend all the way down to the handle.

Thanks for your review, Lanny!
    I've been looking at that LOOP rod recently. Only on-line, of course.
    Was wondering about the action. The manufacturer describes it as "Fast, but with some love", and one review said it was "nice and slow"...while another suggested it was fast enough to cast sink-tip line easily.

Most feel it is a very excellent rod. I confess I'm still a little confused.

Does it have this progressive, "all the way to the handle" bend like Thorarinna describes?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Flyfish4troutguy Guest

My buddy is Loop pro staffer and I have been trying out the spey rods. Nothing but good reviews from me. Quality work on every rod and very very light. I would say you can't go wrong with anything from. I have the Opti Speedrunner Reel and it is very light and top notch drag. I love it!!

Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by Apachetrout View Post
    Hello fellow fly fishers:

In other fly fishing maddeness I recently tried the Sage 99 4 wt. This rod was awsome and is designed what for what I do most fish bobber and nymph fishing. I see a 99 4 wt. blank in the near future.

Lanny
    Hi Lanny - As the proud owner of the September drawing Sage 99, I can tell you this - GET ONE!

I've only had it out once so far due to a crazy work schedule change, but I plan on a full report once I get to really put it through it's paces. So far, I'm most impressed! And yes, I picked the 4wt.

One thing I can say so far - it's a whole lot more than just a nymphing rod.

Dave and Hertiage Angler Hello,

Dave, the AEG is on the fast side of medium fast and is a cannon. It will cast a whole line with not much effort, just a few extra tugs on the line and and 70' feet of line is sailing through the guides in a nice tight loop. The blank flexs about half way down the shaft, with lots of reserve power. From what I understand the AEG 905/3 is a resurection of the old gray series which is considered one of the better 5 wt. tapers that has been developed. For me this rod and the Rio Gold WF 5 F is a near perfect match. The blank does flex differently from American rods and is not quite as light as a Z Axis or a Helios but a wonderful rod. I am pretty sure it is made in Asia, South Korea I think. Finally, it has two stripping guides and 7 snakes for a total of nine guides. Sweet rod!

Hertiage Angler,
    That is great you won the 99 4 wt. Christmas came early for you!!!!!! You are right the 99 4 wt. is much more than just a bobber, multi - fly lobber. I like the slightly slower action than the Z Axis. I was going to assemble a 9'6" 4 wt. Z Axis but am now leaning towards a 99 4 wt. I will have to cast it a few more times to be sure. I mostly bobber fish stillwater with nymphs, midges and soft hackle wets for bass, trout and panfish and the 99er seems like it would be well suited for this type of fly rodding. It also seems like a great rod for swinging wets and getting nice long drifts with a nymph in a stream or river. Finally, the rare time I fish a dry I am sure it work well for that too. Fish as much as you can. You do not want to be at the end of your life with too much sick time on the books!

Lanny

+ Reply to Thread