+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer problem

Question

Rick, ... do you know which Trojan you got??

Try to let us know, ... there are some specialized tools etc out there for specific problems.

My 'puters seem to stay pretty clean. I have Norton Internet Security 2010 up on all of them.
    Christopher Chin

Gotta second Malwarebytes, it has picked up a bunch of crap trying to get on my machine and between that and the free version of AVG 9.0 and Windows defender I'm pretty okay I think

Make sure on AVG that you clear out the Virus Vault and regular system folder or you can get some virtual problems.

Fatman

Bass_Bug Guest

I've used AVG for years. Its a great free product (extra features for the paid version like anything else) but you need more than just Anti Virus software to stay safe and well protected.

You need a good firewall s/w as well. Something better than the OS supplied F/W's. I use the free version of ZoneAlarm for a firewall. I leave the computer on all the time, and both AVG and ZoneAlarm are set for automatic updates and AVG scans daily in the middle of the night. I also use Spyware Blaster to inoculate for 12000+ known spyware. This has to be updated manually, which I do weekly but the manual part is worth the extra benifits. Not a bad idea to use SpyBot Search and Destroy to periodically scann for for any Spyware that might have slipped thru. This is also updated manually but can be scheduled thgus the s/w itself.

Can you install and forget about all this stuff. NOPE! At least not if you want to stay protected. You have to stay diligent and check them on a regular basis. You should check the logs to make sure the A/V scans are actually running and also completing.

Check yor F/W logs and see how many THOUSANDS of attempted attacks there have been into your computer. The bad guys have servers that scan ranges of IP address and infiltrate ANY and ALL that they can. Only 1 week after installing ZoneAlrm will show over a hundred attempts into your system.

You DO need more than the anti virus applications!!

You need a MAC!!!!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Bass_Bug Guest

You do NOT need a MAC....just a UNIX kernel!

Normand Guest

what software detects the trojans??

i'm using norton 360, nothing else

Norm, ...

if I'm not mistaken, Norton 360 should do a good job. It keeps itself up to date.

I have a similar product (Norton Internet Security) and when I run other products to just check, they usually find nothing.
    Christopher Chin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bug View Post
    You do NOT need a MAC....just a UNIX kernel!
    And just what is a Mac besides "UNIX for Dummies?" OS X is nothing more than FreeBSD (A UNIX derivative for the non geekazoids) with a user interface that anyone can use.

I find it remarkable that the upgrade to the latest version of OS X was priced at a mere $30. How much is Windows 7 Upgrade again?

I did extensive ROI comparisons at the last place I worked between a low end iMac and the average Dell/HP type workstation. You could buy 3 of the PCs for what the iMac cost you, but software licensing, upgrades, and manpower to maintain the PCs drove the total cost of the PCs to well over twice what the iMacs cost over 5 years.
    Last edited by kbproctor; 11-13-2009 at 06:05 PM.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    You DO need more than the anti virus applications!!

You need a MAC!!!!!!

Betty, a few years ago all of the viruses were being written for Macs and not so much for PCs. These things are cyclical.

Ed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    Betty, a few years ago all of the viruses were being written for Macs and not so much for PCs. These things are cyclical.

Ed
    Ed, not so much. PCs are the primary target because they make up 90% of the desktop market. Macs are less vulnerable, not imune, less vulneralble because the kernel is UNIX and is hardened. PCs are quite simply the easier and more prolific victim. As long as this is the case, PCs will continue to be the target.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

+ Reply to Thread