+ Reply to Thread

Thread: setting up 60 degree with router

Hybrid View

Default setting up 60 degree with router

I have seen a couple videos where guys use routers to do the beveling. I was just wondering if anyone had a video or pictures of how to set one up. I am wanting to build my son a bamboo rod for his birthday (if you are going to start them you might as well start them right) and I think I am set up to do everything else but don't know how to set up router. Any help would be much appreciated.

Bass_Bug Guest

The easiest would be to use a chamber/bevel bit on a router table which is fine the bevel is relative to the table or the fence. Routing a triangle can get tricky.

However with as thin as a piece you're running through it, it could well shatter the bamboo. On thinner pieces of wood if it catches the grain you can have disastrous results. What you would need to do is have a series of feather boards and hold down to keep the stock tight and secure.

Don't have a clue how you use the router to taper it though.

Most of the one's I've seen use a straight shank bit and a small wood bed with a 60 degree groove in it. You can get V point router bits with a 60 degree bevel as well. Here is a link to a web site with lots of rough beveler ideas...

http://www.bamboorodmaking.com/html/bevellers.html

If you have access to a thickness planner you can make a wood jig and run the strips through the planner.
    Last edited by kengore; 11-12-2009 at 02:20 PM.

+ Reply to Thread