+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how many flies?

Default how many flies?

How many is to many? Every year I try to reduce the number of flies I carry and next thing you know I have two more boxes in my vest. So now after all these years I've come up with a decent selection for all times and a few boxes I'll take certain times of the year. Now I have just three medium boxes I will carry. What do you think, is this still to many? How many do you carry?

Blog Entries

Well, I tie about 35 or 40 different patterns , I have a multitude of small flyboxes with each type in them . However when I go fishing I usually only take my 8 or 9 go-to's . I so far have no confidence in the others . I am getting a little better I only used to trust store bought Black Doc Spratleys . I finally tried one of my own Spratleys and low and behold it worked . I then tried another pattern and it worked too . Each trip I seem to get confidence in one more go-to fly . Maybe by the time I am 95 I will use them all .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

of late, I've been going out with one tiny box. nothing but parachute adams in it.

works just fine.

mgj

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Too many flies? I don't think there is a such thing!

Enough flies is however many you want to keep and use.

I love tying new patterns and testing them. I love tying. I have many fly displays all over the house. I have flies in several hat bands. I am making a display of the history of flies for the local Arts Guild. I got my wife a nighty with fly patterns printed on it...............

It's a good thing I'm not obsessive!!!!

Semper Fi!

I have been getting a little better at this this past year. Although everything stays in my vehicle once I make that first trip I try to skinny down for each trek to a stream. Since I fish the same 4 or 5 rivers and streams pretty much unless I go out of state I know what should be on the water. I can usually narrow it down to 4 or 5 flies, a few spinners some klinks and a few nymphs...just in case. I'll keep a few ants and beetles too once we get into summer.

Gigmaster, thats exactly my problem, I love to tie flies and experiment. I have storage bins at my house and I can honestly say I have thousands of flies because I tie way more than I'll ever need and I would love to take them all with me on the stream but it's just not practical. So I've made a list of essentials and remade it then remade it again so now I'm down to 3 boxes not including my streamer box wich I only carry when I'm doing nothing but stripping streamers.

Mikey yeah I tried to take it to the bare minimum but I carried a parachute adams in a few sizes and a beadhead pheasant tail in a few sizes. That lasted about 2 trips and I started to break out in a cold sweat.

Turk, that's a normal disease which I suffered during many years. Finally I bring 1 box!! Is a mid-size with:
    4 Patterns of dries, 3 patterns of nymphs, 3 of wets and 3 of streamers. 2-3 sizes of each. And I can keep catching many trout as when I brought a ton of boxes.
    Rocketfish

I carry a large box for dries. I carry many different patterns and sizes. I carry maybe a dozen of my go-to's.

I carry a large compartment box for streamers. Probably 4-6 of 15 different patterns.

I carry 2 very slim boxes for small BH midges and the like. Each box has 18 small compartments.

And lastly, I carry a SA SystemX nymph box with hare's ears, pheasant tails, etc that are too big to go into the really slim boxes that I carry.

Is that carrying too much? I just have a fear of not having the right thing on the water at any given time. (It's a well founded fear, because it seems to happen a lot.)

Use C&F boxes. I carry around 1000 flys in my vest and it feels fine. A good deal of the pleasure I get from fishing is testing my patterns. A good deal of the pleasure I get from tying is experimenting to find the "ultimate" patterns.

+ Reply to Thread