I remember when I started fishing tailraces what a challenge it was. I did ok at times and other times were very difficult. I used to join alot of fly swaps just to see what others were tying. In one swap a fella was about the miss the deadline insofar as getting his flies in on time. Almost apologetically he submitted a simple black midge and if I remember correctly each swapper got 3-4. Someone in the swap commented the fly might be simple but had saved the day many a time for him. I remembered looking at the midge and just thinking to myself "Hmmmm"; I put the in my flybox thinking I'd use them at some point. Keep in mind, I didn't know a lot about really small flies, midges, and tailraces. A week later I was on the water. After 3-4 hours of fishing my standard flies I decided to put the midge on as a dropper. I never would have believed the results! Awesome! That was several years ago, and today the midge is one of my primary tailrace flies. Most of them are easy to tie and they are effective year round (this depends upon where you are fishing, of course). If you have not tried them you may want to tie up half a dozen and put them in your flybox ..... you never know. I wish I could remember the fella who tied up the midges; I'd like to thank him.