I go in for my mega dose of radioactive iodine tomorrow morning. I will be allowed to come home immediately afterwards but I must stay isolated for two days until my radioactivity levels drop and no work until Friday. the treatment is not without risk and it may take more than one treatment to accomplish what needs to be done.

While the treatment is definitely less risky than surgery it can cause the thyroid to release all of it's stored hormone at once. Thyroid Storm is a condition that can be fatal but is easily recognized and treated. It is a 911 call for certain. However, it only happens to a very few patients. Well, I was given the choice of we treat you or you will not survive because my reaction to the hyperthyroid is so bad.

Initially my symptoms will get worse. I should start to get better in 1-2 weeks. It will take 3-6 months to get me properly regulated. The thyroid can take up to 5 years to disappear. I will be on a synthetic hormone daily for the rest of my life but it sure beats the alternative.

I need this folks. My condition has deteriorated to the point where I can no longer put in a full day's work. Here is a good resource for anyone that wants information on the thyroid:

http://www.thyroid.org/

Please check out those symptoms and if you have any of them ask your doctor to check your thyroid with a simple blood test. Many folks have hyper or hypo active thyroids and do not realize it.