+ Reply to Thread

Thread: line repair

Default line repair

was doing a little lawn casting today and a gust of wind pushed my line into a thorny bush and i got a small nick towards the end of my line. is this something to be concerned about? is there anything that can be done to repair it?

Water can now get into your line and it will become waterlogged and sink, time to buy a new line and keep this one for practicing.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

dpenrod,
    You say there is a nick close to the end of your fly line. How close to the end. If within the first couple feet you could probably cut the line off at the nick and never notice the difference. It really depends on how close to the end. I know that I have cut the end off of my lines in the past, sometimes as much as 3 foot, and never noticed the difference. Just my opinion and something I done and maybe you could try if the nick is close to the end. Others may tell you different and maybe tell you to not cut any off, but, I did and it still worked plus it was sure cheaper then purchasing a new line. After all, what have you got to lose.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

There is a product that is often supplied with new neoprene waders for patching small holes should you be so unlucky. It is a lot like silicone putty that you use for weatherstripping or sealing around a sink or other such thing. I have had some luck with splicing a line that had a bad injury, and I coat the splice with this stuff, then put the line on my back up reel.

If you have a steady hand and a keen eye, you could try sealing the nick using MEK ( Methyl Ethel Ketone ) it isn't really nice stuff, so do it outside with a little bit of a breeze blowing. Just a little of the MEK solvent on the nick, let it soak for just a little bit, like 10 seconds or so, then try to re-shape the vinyl line coating with a popsicle stick or some such thing.

Almost anything is worth a try to save a line at today's prices. If it is a DT, just cut it in half, throw away the damaged end. Lots of guys do that anyway, gives you more room for backing or shooting line, or whatever you are using.

------------------
    Jim Johnson

I wonder why no one has suggested the "Heat Shrink Tubing" thing? If you can use it to make a welded loop on the end, I'm sure t would would work to mend a small nick. You just need to get a small piece of 2mm electrical heat shrink tubing, slide it over the nick, heat it with a soldering iron (held an inch or so away, by no means ever touch the line or tubing with it), and after a few seconds(ok, maybe a minute), just roll the gummy tubing off to reveal a (hopefully) mended line..............................Or you could just cut off the first section where the nick is Don't forget to seal the end up with some pliobond to keep it floating high. Good luck

Why not pliobond on the nick if it will work for the end?

7. Default

If the nick doesn't go all the way through the coating to the core, and it probably doesn't, I wouldn't worry about it. Your line won't soak up water and the nick won't weaken the line, it is just esthetic.

If the nick is within the first 6-12" of the line you could just cut the line without significantly affecting how it casts. Most lines have a 6" level tip section that some anglers remove anyway. Shortening the front taper much more than that will make turnover more forceful and delivery less delicate. For some anglers that is a good thing.
    Bruce Richards

+ Reply to Thread