Colt45,
I really like that name. I carry one and believe it to be one of the finest weapons in the world!
I also consider the Thompson A to be one of the best vises in the world. I have the midge jaws installed on one of mine and the regular jaws installed on the other one. Wish I had a dollar for every fly I've tied on those two vises. I have tied down to a size 30 on the "midge vise" as I call it, with no problem. On the other one, I have tied up to 4/0 bass and saltwater flies. Mine are both mounted on pedestals and they are stable enough for spinning deer hair etc..
That said, I have also purchased a Peak vice that has the regular and midge jaws. I'm beginning to love this one because of its rotary capacity. I would put a mirror on the other side of the fly to see what's happening on that side but I would get an occasional glimpse of myself and that is a very disheartening feeling.
I too use the Thompsons when teaching others and they are great for that. Start and work your way up. After all,,, as Al Campbell, a master of simplicity, would say; all the vise has to do is hold the hook.
They say golf can be so much fun and exasperating at times,too. They ain't got nothin' on flytyers!!

Andy

------------------
all types of fishermen must pull together for the good of all!!!