Trying something...

After seeing the responses to the deneir thread rating thread, I decided to try an experiment...

I like UNI threads in 8/0 and 6/0 for a large portion of my fly tying...It's getting hard to find around me, seems the fly shop is always out of it, and the warehouse store doesn't know how to sort stuff and I can NEVER find it where it's labeled it's supposed to be...UNI thread is polyester..

(before I get a bunch of links to where I can find it online, I know that I can order it, but I wanted to try something 'new' and maybe learn something in the attempt).

I went to the local JoAnn's fabric and craft store, and looked at what they had in 'threads'...they had LOTS....

I wanted polyester thread...I wanted to start with black...and I wanted about 8/0 (I'd take 6/0 if I had to..).

I found some Coats and Clark bobbin thread....1800 yards of it in 70 denier that looked a lot like the 8/0 sample of UNI I brought along....about $8. It's smooth finished and seems MUCH stronger than the UNI thread.

So, I'm going to chuck some empty spools in the drill and load them up with this stuff and give it a try...If I like it, it comes in LOTS of colors.

If I don't, I'll have learned why 'fly tying thread' is better for fly tying than regular 'thread'. Wish me luck.

Buddy