+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Fly-Tier's Benchside Reference

Bass_Bug Guest

Buddy has some good points.

As for the book itself, Does anyone know where it was originally printed over 10 years ago when it first came out?

Great as the book is, I'm sure it never came close to being a big money maker for the published. It's all about the bottom line, and if they are not making money (which is the sole purpose of a business) they will outsource when it suits them.

Outsourcing doesn't means overseas, just letting another company do the work for them. If they can't do something economically, chances are another American company cannot either.

I've dealt with printing companies through work many times and the more you order of an a printed item the cheaper the price, because there are set setup costs for a single printing run whether it be 100 or 100,000. The setup cost are divided among each piece produced. For a printed product you plan to sell (as opposed to printed consumables for a business) the more you order the more you can spread out these cost per product. Smaller production run just cost more. So for the author to get a decent percent of each book sold HE will agree to the most economical production.

I have the '98 edition which says "Printed in Hong Kong China".

Small Clarification on my part

I have no problem with this fine work being massed produced oversees , my comment is with the quality of the materials used for the cover.

The content for me was worth the price!
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    Uh, guys...

I
    Business is business and it's not just maker to consumer. It's not anti American to buy things made overseas. Most of the 'cost' you pay for something goes to American businesses and American households anyway. You aren't buying it from a store in China, or Korea, or India. Few of the stores that sell imported goods actually send a check overseas. Stores may purchase goods made overseas, but most of them purchase them HERE, from wholesalers and distributors HERE. The employees of the distributors and wholesalers are living, paying taxes, and spending their incomes HERE. The stores that sell imported goods have their premises HERE. They employ AMERICANS in their stores. They pay taxes HERE.

Buddy
    As they did when it wasn't a bad thing to be a craftsman or to work with your hands making things right here.
    At one time we had it all.... both a service AND a manufacturing society and we were much richer and stronger for it.
    Just don't come whining to me when we need items to fight a war, say, and only the countries who didn't **** away manufacturing have the capacity to make our war toys.
    I think the bottom line few people want to see or hear is that this boils right down to corporate heads NOT wanting to share the kitty any longer. When they did people could afford their items because they worked and were paid a decent wage thus perpetuating 'The American Dream'.
    Make all of the excuses you want, we're screwing the pooch on this and will be paying for decades to come if not longer.
    So much for the American Dream and welcome to the New World Order where WE lower our standards to thos great third-world countries.
    I'm just glad I'm on the downslope of this life and was able to see this country as it was, the richest and most envied country in the world.

I bought the "physical" book, not the CD, although I'm a "cumputer guy".
    The book will last a lifetime, but can we read the CD after 10 years?

Although I haven't used the book a lot it's a must buy, I look at it now and then when I need to see how new things are done.

Uh...Jackster...

We're STILL the richest and strongest country.

AND, we are richer and stronger than we have EVER been. I'd not want to go backwards in time to the imagined 'Better America'. It's better NOW on so many fronts I couldn't list them here if I wanted to.

Many of us, myself included, still make our living as craftsmen working with our own hands, right here in America. And we don't need, and I certainly don't want, artificial 'protections' for my business. I can compete with similar bisinesses anywhere, and I WANT to.

Why are we whining? Things are getting bettter and better for those who are willing to work hard and take some chances. This type of economy offers rare and wonderful opportunities for those with the courage and desire to take advantage of them.

And, I'll confidently assert out strength comes from the profit motive, not some abstract concept about 'sharing the kitty'. If you don't like how the CEOs do business, become one and CHANGE it. No one is stopping you (except yourself). Again, if you can't do that, it's YOUR problem, not America's.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    As they did when it wasn't a bad thing to be a craftsman or to work with your hands making things right here.
    At one time we had it all.... both a service AND a manufacturing society and we were much richer and stronger for it.
    Just don't come whining to me when we need items to fight a war, say, and only the countries who didn't **** away manufacturing have the capacity to make our war toys.
    I think the bottom line few people want to see or hear is that this boils right down to corporate heads NOT wanting to share the kitty any longer. When they did people could afford their items because they worked and were paid a decent wage thus perpetuating 'The American Dream'.
    Make all of the excuses you want, we're screwing the pooch on this and will be paying for decades to come if not longer.
    So much for the American Dream and welcome to the New World Order where WE lower our standards to thos great third-world countries.
    I'm just glad I'm on the downslope of this life and was able to see this country as it was, the richest and most envied country in the world.
    Take your inanities back to the Lodge, Jackster.

The reason that things are made in low cost countries is because consumers (that's all of us) want more stuff.

Rising wages dramatically improved consumers lives in the post-war period -- we all got more stuff. Eventually, wages began to grow at a slower rate. But in order to continue to get more stuff, prices (and thus costs) had to be reduced. Moving work to southern states worked for a while but work eventually moved elsewhere to keep up with our desire for more stuff.

How many TVs does the average American household have? Well there are 285 million in this country which is roughly one per person. You only get that many TVs by making them a whole lot cheaper so I can buy two for the price that one used to cost.

Unfortunately, "Everyday Low Prices" can only be supported by the everyday low costs provided by off shore labor.

+ Reply to Thread