+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Fly-Tier's Benchside Reference

Hybrid View

Default The Fly-Tier's Benchside Reference

I've been contemplating buying this book for a while now. Bit the bullet and ordered it. Wonderful concept of a techniques book and I own other book by Jim Schollmeyer "Nymph Fly Tying Techniques" and enjoyed that one but was shocked at the Printed in China notice. Everything is made in China these days, but a $100 fly tying book that is printed in China just really rubbed me the wrong way. Nice material in the book, wonderful photos, highly recomended by many and "MADE IN CHINA". If I knew that before I bought the book, I probably would have passed on it. I bought it sight unseen. No issue with the content but it took the big smile right off my face when I was so happy to have it in my hands. A real reference work - "made in China".

It's probably just this old guy these days, people don't care if we have a job here in the states, we all just want to buy stuff cheap. But a $100 book isn't a cheap proposition.

Thanks for letting me vent, back now to your regularly scheduled programs.

I also have the book paid the fee, good information.

The quality of the binding is also not very good either...
    The china thing rubbed me the wrong way also if I were
    an author as good as he I surely would not have my stuff
    made there seeing the workmanship.

I wonder how Schollmeyer feels about it ?
    No question he makes a dollar over the books circulation
    but he certainty should not be very proud over the chinese
    production.

Come to think of it out of all my collection this book is the
    only one that is of this bad quality, noticed right after I first got it.

Take care!

Steve
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Default The Fly-Tiers Benchside Reference

With all the fly tying books on the bookshelves, it took along time to even consider getting a copy of a $$$ book. Had read reviews which all seemed to be very favorable & even saw a copy on the shelves of a local used bookstore that I took a quick look at. With 444 pages it should have some info that hasn't been read before, but waited until finding one at a reduced cost; and now even happier that the local bookstore didn't get their 15% off price for it from me as recently there's been a " don't buy Chinese made products " because of the lead in toys last year to the drywall fiasco; unless there's no other option. Still waiting for delivery, but for the reduced cost still hope it doesn't turn out to be like the drywall -- a bad investment that looks so promising that in the end just causes headaches

It is my understanding that the color printing process is much less expensive in Hong Kong and for that reason many of the fly tying books are printed there. That being said i would like to have the opportunity to see "Made in USA" on more products.

Normand Guest

it is one of the best books on fly tying techniques regardless of where it was printed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Telford View Post
    It is my understanding that the color printing process is much less expensive in Hong Kong and for that reason many of the fly tying books are printed there. That being said i would like to have the opportunity to see "Made in USA" on more products.
    I have a friend in the publishing business. According to him, the cost of producing hardcover and even softcover books is exorbitant which is one of the reasons printing is done offshore. A TON is done in Italy as well.

Also many of the best presses and lots of the paper is NOT made in the US either so...

...you are fighting a losing battle trying to adhere to MADE in the USA only policy when it comes to NEW books.

I have to set the record straight, I refered to the book as a $100 book because that was the retail price of the book. I bought my copy off of Ebay for $59 and paid $4 to ship it which translates into $63 delivered to my door. I hope that I didn't mislead anyone by referring to it's published list price.

The book is still an expensive book and while I have dug into the book deeply enough make any final personal judgement on the content, I was just frustrated with economy and us selling our souls overseas. This isn't a new issue for any of us, but just wanted to vent. Again thanks for letting me do so. I stand by my original position that if I had known this before buying the book, I would have passed on it. There is so much solid info on the internet these days with video to accompany it that this purchase was a want and not a need.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    I was just frustrated with economy and us selling our souls overseas.
    I wish more of us had this feeling years ago when no one looked at the place of manufacture. We were content in paying the same price for brand names as we did when they were employing our neighbors to manufacture their goods. The fact we didn't care sent a strong message to corporations that we Americans are naive to a fault.
    We can't go back now but from the get-go I looked at labels and had the thought we would lose in the long run. The real eye opener for me is when the term 'fair' trade was somehow miraculously replaced with 'free' trade.
    Oh well... I still thank my lucky stars for the America my parents generation handed us. Opportunity up the wazoo!

We are all reading this on computers NOT made in the US.

+ Reply to Thread