+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Modified tarpon fly idea

Hybrid View

Default Modified tarpon fly idea

I was flipping through an older Fly Tyer magazine tonight and read an article on Stu Apte. His tarpon flies are effective and look fairly simple to tie. Has anyone ever thought about tying a slightly smaller version of these flies to target white bass/wipers/stripers? I'm thinking whites around here would like a white/chartreuse, white/red, or chartreuse/red fly like that. Maybe throw some flash in there for good measure, too.

Has anybody ever tried this? Do I need to quit smoking the funny stuff and just tie Clousers? *G*

Zac

They will work for largemouth bass and stripers in large and small sizes. Probably wipers also. They work here for saltwater bass too.

I'm not sure exactly which tarpon flies you are referring too...but there are guys around here that fish the river for wipers & big smallies with 4"-5" white zonker strips tied on saltwater hooks...with some red marabou near the hook eye. They do pretty well at times! Slightly smaller ones should work for white bass, but its hard to be a Clouser for them.

The fly colors you suggested should work really well.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I've adapted a lot of baitfish/streamer type saltwater patterns for whites and wipers, but I've never tried the Apte style tarpon flies. Hmm, I've got some I tied up to take to Florida with me next time I go. I may have to give them a try on my next day off and get back to you.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

+ Reply to Thread