+ Reply to Thread

Thread: backing strength

Default backing strength

I have 20lb dacron backing on my Scientific Angler System 2L 7/8 reel and an 8 weight line. If I'm fishing a 14lb tippet can I be assured that if a fish is into my 20# dacron backing that it will still be the tippet that breaks before the dacron will? Assumption: no knots fail.

At what point should a person upgrade to 30# dacron or gel spun backing?

Thanks,Ole

Man Ole, I want to fish with you buddy. The furthest I've gotten into my backing is I saw the line to backing knot about half way up my rod one time!!!

Ole, ...

I use all 30lb backing for Atlantics ... One just never knows what the next cast can bring

For trout, ... imho, ... 20lb would be just fine.

What are you fishing for on a 14lb tippet? I use 8-20 lb tippets for Atlantics, depending on the flies used and the "prospects" in the pool or run.

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/015738.html:45f3e]2006 FishIn Ste-Marguerite River[/url:45f3e]

[url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:45f3e]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:45f3e]
    Christopher Chin

I fished for and caught marlin in the 80-120 lb range using 20lb backing and a 16lb flourocarbon leader with a 50 lb shock tippet. I see no reason to go to 30lb backing. The maximun tippet allowed is 20lb, then you also run into the risk of having your line break as it will become the weakest link in your set-up. I believe the breaking strength of most fly lines is also 20lbs.

[This message has been edited by Ray (edited 15 January 2006).]
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Assuming your knots are good 20# backing is fine for a 14# tippet.
    Some folks like too use straight 20# mono for a leader in the salt. I think that's the point where you would want to go to the 30#.
    I have 30# on my 10wt but so far it's been overkill.

Mantis, you should come down and fish the salt.
    Your backing needs to see the daylight sometimes too.

------------------
    "too much of anything is bad, but too much whisky is just enough"
    Mark Twain
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Ole...
    20# backing is usually OK for fresh water use. Many saltwater guys will move up to 30# because it will be as strong as the fly line and much more abrasion resistant. (We can be dealing with coral flats here.) It also gives you a cushion between your backing and the maximum 20# class tippet.
    FFF Life Member #22

Thanks for your responses. It sounds like I'm OK for freshwater with the 20# but should probably move up to 30# for the salt because of the potential for an unexpected large fish and the possibility of coral abrasion. I'll check out the Courtland backing JC.

Ole

That no failed knots assumption is kind of a big one, Ole

Just kidding, but this is something I really used to worry about until I learned which knots work for me and how to tie them right. Any time I hooked into a big one I would start the prayers going..."Please, let me have tied the kots right THIS time!"

+ Reply to Thread