Been working on this off an on for several weeks.

-I cut 3mm foam sheets into manageable strips (approx 1.5 x 5).

-Using Pliobond, apply a thin coat on mating sides and stick together. Repeat until desired pattern is achieved. Allow to cure overnight. If you've never used Pliobond, it's a flexible contact cement available at any hardware store. I also use it to glue cork rings together for rod handles.

-The 3 pieces of pipe are 3/8" O.D and 1/2" O.D. copper tubing, and 1/2" I.D copper pipe. Just scraps I had on hand. Sharpen the outer edges (with file or sandpaper, then lightly hone the inner edges (with 150grit sandpaper).

-The 3/8"tubing fits nicely in a, are you ready for this? A 3/8" drill of all things! And that means the 1/2" tubing fits in a...Yep a 1/2" drill.

-Using a drill makes a quick clean cut. It works by hand but they plugs are not as clean. But if you're turning them it doesn't matter as much. Also a 1.5 x 5 foam bock will yield at least 2 dozen 3/8" plugs.

- As someone posted in another thread, they poke a tooth pick through the foam plug, chuck the tooth pick in a dremel and and you have an instant lathe. Yes it IS that simple, even using round tooth picks. I used a bodkin first to poke a hole through the foam then work the tooth pick though the bodkin hole. You'll never poke a tooth pick straight through without using a needle first.

-Once chucked in the dremel, a 2 sided (med/fine) emery board is all you need to shape to desired popper. It does leave a bit of foam dust, but just enough mess to be annoying.

-Once turned to finished shape, insert a kink shank hook, and push body all the way to the bend exposing kink shank, add a generous drop of med/thick CA glue, and pull foam back up to the eye. Push back end forward a bit and add a small drop of glue on back side, then straighten and center body. Really only takes about 15 seconds to glue each one.

-Dress tail as desired and your flies are completed. No painting or body finish necessary. Colors and color combinations are endless.

I did some traditional colors red/white, black/yellow, red/black, green/yellow etc. but then used all the foam I had on hand for black/green/yellow, red/white/blue, pink/white (for Casey for the CFR), and several other combinations. When I was done I used a sheet of each of the primary colors for a rainbow pattern. Once dressed I'll call this the 'Gordon Popper' for the Rainbow Warriors! Not really a NASCAR fan, but a good friend is.