Since the fly fishing vehicle thread has several mentions of transporting rigged rods inside, I assume many of you have figured out a good way to do this. My way was inspired by a friend's rig and I pass it along in case it helps anybody.

I drive a small SUV --a Mazda Tribute, sister to the Ford Escape. My interior rod rack cost under $10 and took under an hour to build. The basic ingredients are three lengths of light bungee cord, hooks for bungee cords (4 big and two small) and, since I already had them, two large wooden beads. You can skip the beads.

The two lengths of bungee cord with big hooks on each end hook over the grab handles over my front and rear doors. The length of cord with two small hooks on each end hooks over the cargo net clips that were already in the roof of my cargo compartment. I tied two loops in this cargo area bungee cord and slipped a wooden bead over each loop.

To transport the assembled rod in my vehicle, I turn the rod so the guides are facing up and slide the rod over the front two bungee cords, with the windshield bending the rod tip downwards. The end of the reel seat then fits in one of the rear cord's loops and I slide the wooden bead down to secure it.

You might need to modify this design to suit your vehicle, but I'll bet you can find a way to do it that works great and costs way less than a store-bought interior rod rack. Being able to transport a fully rigged rod in a safe place makes the effort worth it.