+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spiral (Roberts) Wrap

Hybrid View

Bass_Bug Guest

Default Spiral (Roberts) Wrap

OK, this is not a fly rod topic, but interesting rod building topic none the less.

A few years ago a friend of mine (non-fly angler Bass Master type) picked up a G.Loomis rod and reel from a buddy for less than half the cost new. He didn't need the rod, but knew the reel was worth at least what the guy was asking, so it was like getting a free rod since both were in like-new condition.

Knowing I'd built a few fly rods, he asked me if I could or would, strip the guides of the Loomis rod and re wrap in a spiral around the blank so the first stripping guiding was in line with the reel but the last guide and the tip were 180 degrees around from the first.

I did some research then and found this techniques is documented (and patented) before 1910. In the 50's or 60's a guy named Chuck Roberts brought this concept back in popularity, hence the now named "Roberts Wrap".

Anyway after marking the guide locations on a strip of adding machine tape, I stripped off all the guides. After cleaning the blank with acetone and cleaned/polished the cork with 320 grit sandpaper, then sealed the cork with U40, and it looked like a new rod project that was ready for guides. At that point I was tempted to tell him I ruined the blank (so I could keep it ) and offer him a few bucks. The temptation only lasted a few seconds.

Matching the thread color to the closet I had, I put the stripper back where it was and then proceeded at 45deg increments so that guide 5 was now on the bottom. The hardest part I found was working with a one piece 7' rod on my 30in wrapping jig. This is REALLY a pain in the you-know-what when you're wrapping the tip end.

I dont know if he used it before he gave it to me, but said he loves the way it handles now.

What really amazes me is that this spiral wrap is not more common on baitcasting rods outside the custom rod shops. The physics behind the technique make perfect sensce.

When you are looking down the rod from the butt end, is the spiral clockwise or counter-clockwise? (and Leaving daylight savings time should you delay the first one by 15 degrees? )

another name for this is acid rod wrap and is used on big game ocean rods.

Bass_Bug Guest

Not sure if the direction of the spiral matters or not. It didnt to my friend because: 1. he never asked one way or another, and 2. I don't remember which way I even wrapped it not giving direction any thought at the time.

One theroy is that the 'Acid Wrap' got it's name becuase someone saw a rod like this and didnt know the reasoning for the spiral and thought the rod builder must have "been on acid when he wrapped it". At least that's what I read in a couple places. However there's a rod shop called AcidRod that makes custom rods. More than likely it came from them.

Bass bug your correct. The term "acid wrap" got that name because of a west coast builder (can't remember his name off hand) whom did the wrap and comments such as "was he on acid when he wrapped this thing?" So thats where the term acid wrap came from. The website/shop Acidrods most likely named themselves after the wrap rather than the other way around because I don't believe the shop has been around anywhere near as long as the wrap has.

The direction of the spiraling of the guides doesn't really matter. The main goal is just to get the line inverted coming from underneath the rod) so that the natural torque of the casting reel set up is taken out of the picture. It's a really weird looking way to wrap a rod, but for a casting rod it helps out a LOT thats for sure.

BTW I feel your pain about wrapping those 1 pc rod Gotta get yourself a couple stantions to help support that jig

Steve

The 'direction' you spiral the guides can matter...

Depends on the rod's intended use.

I wrapped lots of these before I converted to the one true faith and became a fly fisherman...all of the ones I wrapped were for freshwater bass fishermen...they needed the spiraling guides to be on the same side as their reel handles, so the rod would lay flat on the boat deck. This changed sometimes, of course, since some folks used right hand retrieve reels, and some of us used left hand retrieve reels. Except for that, it doesn't matter as far as rod performance goes.

There is much debate as to how many guides to 'use' to make the transition....I've seen it done in two, three is the 'norm' and some guys like to use four and even five 'guides not lined up right' to get the line under the blank (where it belongs and wants to go anyway).

It may look 'odd' but it's the only way to get maximum performance from a casting rod blank.

Obviously it's not an issue with a fly rod.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread