OK, this is not a fly rod topic, but interesting rod building topic none the less.

A few years ago a friend of mine (non-fly angler Bass Master type) picked up a G.Loomis rod and reel from a buddy for less than half the cost new. He didn't need the rod, but knew the reel was worth at least what the guy was asking, so it was like getting a free rod since both were in like-new condition.

Knowing I'd built a few fly rods, he asked me if I could or would, strip the guides of the Loomis rod and re wrap in a spiral around the blank so the first stripping guiding was in line with the reel but the last guide and the tip were 180 degrees around from the first.

I did some research then and found this techniques is documented (and patented) before 1910. In the 50's or 60's a guy named Chuck Roberts brought this concept back in popularity, hence the now named "Roberts Wrap".

Anyway after marking the guide locations on a strip of adding machine tape, I stripped off all the guides. After cleaning the blank with acetone and cleaned/polished the cork with 320 grit sandpaper, then sealed the cork with U40, and it looked like a new rod project that was ready for guides. At that point I was tempted to tell him I ruined the blank (so I could keep it ) and offer him a few bucks. The temptation only lasted a few seconds.

Matching the thread color to the closet I had, I put the stripper back where it was and then proceeded at 45deg increments so that guide 5 was now on the bottom. The hardest part I found was working with a one piece 7' rod on my 30in wrapping jig. This is REALLY a pain in the you-know-what when you're wrapping the tip end.

I dont know if he used it before he gave it to me, but said he loves the way it handles now.

What really amazes me is that this spiral wrap is not more common on baitcasting rods outside the custom rod shops. The physics behind the technique make perfect sensce.