+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Soft Body

Default Soft Body

Could use some help.But first...I tie saltwater flies exclusively.This is for my use & fun tying.Heard a lot about Soft Body on another site & finally found a
    bottle.
    It appears a bit thick & wondering how or if you thin it.Put some over Sally Hansen & it turned a bit yellow.I am also not sure of applications.Could be I
    spent 6 bucks for???
    Tried the phone# on label & it &was disconnected.And,email address was "not
    recognized"....
    Anyway,I am new to this site & really enjoy.Live in SE NC,8 miles from ICW.Had been away from tying for over 45 yrs & probably not used the long rod almost that long.Time not wasted as I fished offshore during the hiatus.
    My boat,my dog,my 8 wt.& Im happy.Oh yeah,most of those yrs spent in the
    Corps.See ya & thanx FD...

The Soft Body that I use has an Anglers Choice label on it. It comes in a Thick and Thin version. It is water based and thins with water. I only use the thick version and put some in a different container and thin out if I need a really thin application. I apply it with a paint brush. It cleans up with water. You can also dip the heads of flies into it. This works better with the thin formulation.

I use it for coating crease flies in place of epoxy. I also use for coating the heads of flies or for anything that I want to have a flexible coating. I also use it to apply to synthetic materials when i want a soft but full head on flies like the mushmouth. In many cases it can be used in place of Softex.

For really thick applications I find it works better with multiple layers rather than just one really thick application.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Is soft Body like Silicon? I use regular Marine Silicon to tie things like the Mushmouth.

Sorry for the small thread drift, but where would you use softex over softbody and vice versa? Are they both the same kind of product or for different applications. Have a jar of softex that I have never opened, thought I would play with it this winter tying season.

In my experience, Softex and Softbody are almost, but not quite interchangeable. Softex is toxic and should be used in a well ventilated area, Softbody is a water based resin. Softex seems more pliable when cured. Softbody dries clear while softex is dries translucent but cloudy. The consistancy of Softex out of the bottle seems between that of the thin and thick versions of softbody.

I put flies treated with either on a drying wheel to cure.

Thanx for the good info on these products.gonna run out to my shed &do
    some messing around.Got a bunch of clousers,mush mouths,awesomes that
    I havent done anything with.That is,except to put some Sally H on the heads.
    On the silicone.Have tied up a heap of spearing{glass minnow}& been working
    w/GE products.Problem 1,Tho I firmly screw top back on the 700 clogs up after 5 or so minutes.By the next day the stuff wouldnt come out.That is with a lot of effort of my 222lbs.Might add that it all aint muscle
    Problem 2,cant seem to get the right type of coating(another GE item).I still
    get it too thick & dont like the looks of it.I know,got to practise more.Anyway
    have a great weekend.FD

+ Reply to Thread