+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: muddler patterns

Default muddler patterns

so i was just wondering what everyones favorite muddler pattern is i really enjoy fishing with them and the kiwi muddler is one of my favorites, but i recently tied and tried a all black with bleeding gill wool head muddler that produced a nice 23 inch rainbow. that got my wondering what everyone else uses and the recipes for them so i can give them a try thanks

I like using the marabou muddler on the surface. I use white marabou.

I also have had luck with my own pattern called the "cheese-head" muddler.
    I use egg yarn in Oregon-cheese color as the head. I still use the collar of deer hair but the head uses the yarn.
    Stock fish love it in all sizes.
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

Blog Entries

One of my better Idaho fish-in flies in years past was a muddler with a burnt orange dubbed body tied on a 200R hook, with a flat bottom so it would ride on the surface. think of it as a real hairy October Caddis. Caught some more on it this year, too.

<I'm so sorry ... every time I read your heading "muddler patterns", I'm reminded of the incident I had while fishing this spring. I caught a fairly large muddler on a midge pattern, and as I was stripping him in, a huge brown trout bolted out of the rock protection, and grabbed the muddler. I was chastised for using "live bait" to take the trout!! So, THAT'S what I think of for muddler patterns!! Returning you to your regularly scheduled forum now!>
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

wow what a great story last weekend had a couple of smaller trout on with bull trout chasing them haha anyways thanks for the ideas will have to give um a try

That is funny, I have never tied a conventional muddler, but I tied two today. Right down to the Fox underwing.....weeeiiird!

I have been doing really well lately with Kelly Galloup's Egg Suckin' Sculpin, Butt Monkey and Sex Dungeon. All are Muddlers.

Here is the Brown ESS.

here is Black:

And here is the Sex Dungeon:

Oh and I tied some flies up for a friend yesterday and he requested the KIWI. I have never heard of it but I think I did a fair job at making one.
    Didn't take any pictures though.

Cool topic! But weird timing for me.....
    Like you are.....watching......me! AHHHHH!

Never fished a muddler for trout....

But the Kiwi Muddler in various colors is a killer bass fly.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    Never fished a muddler for trout....

But the Kiwi Muddler in various colors is a killer bass fly.

Buddy
    I can see that. I have to find more Bass waters. The Bass I have caught were a blast.
    The Snake is being planted with more and more bass too.....this is a good thing, but I might have to learn to fish all over again.. Or at least what flies.

here are a couple I fish. I've posted them previously, but...

they pretty and work well too.

wow excellent flies i didnt know kelly tied anything besides the zoo cougar haha should have done some research lol. i will have to tie up a muddler fly box this winter i will try and see if i can get some pics of the muddlers i have been tying up here real soon. thanks for the pics its really great

+ Reply to Thread