+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: muddler patterns

Hybrid View

Default muddler patterns

so i was just wondering what everyones favorite muddler pattern is i really enjoy fishing with them and the kiwi muddler is one of my favorites, but i recently tied and tried a all black with bleeding gill wool head muddler that produced a nice 23 inch rainbow. that got my wondering what everyone else uses and the recipes for them so i can give them a try thanks

I like using the marabou muddler on the surface. I use white marabou.

I also have had luck with my own pattern called the "cheese-head" muddler.
    I use egg yarn in Oregon-cheese color as the head. I still use the collar of deer hair but the head uses the yarn.
    Stock fish love it in all sizes.
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

Blog Entries

One of my better Idaho fish-in flies in years past was a muddler with a burnt orange dubbed body tied on a 200R hook, with a flat bottom so it would ride on the surface. think of it as a real hairy October Caddis. Caught some more on it this year, too.

<I'm so sorry ... every time I read your heading "muddler patterns", I'm reminded of the incident I had while fishing this spring. I caught a fairly large muddler on a midge pattern, and as I was stripping him in, a huge brown trout bolted out of the rock protection, and grabbed the muddler. I was chastised for using "live bait" to take the trout!! So, THAT'S what I think of for muddler patterns!! Returning you to your regularly scheduled forum now!>
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

wow what a great story last weekend had a couple of smaller trout on with bull trout chasing them haha anyways thanks for the ideas will have to give um a try

That is funny, I have never tied a conventional muddler, but I tied two today. Right down to the Fox underwing.....weeeiiird!

I have been doing really well lately with Kelly Galloup's Egg Suckin' Sculpin, Butt Monkey and Sex Dungeon. All are Muddlers.

Here is the Brown ESS.

here is Black:

And here is the Sex Dungeon:

Oh and I tied some flies up for a friend yesterday and he requested the KIWI. I have never heard of it but I think I did a fair job at making one.
    Didn't take any pictures though.

Cool topic! But weird timing for me.....
    Like you are.....watching......me! AHHHHH!

here is the kiwi muddler and the cone head wool muddler (ran out of black cones ) sorry if the pic isnt that clear i took them with the camera on my cell phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some real big muddlers here what do you fish for with them? Here's one for the trout a daddy muddler.

Quote Originally Posted by greenock View Post
    Some real big muddlers here what do you fish for with them? Here's one for the trout a daddy muddler.

Huh, thought that was a canary muddler

Never heard of that. Its just one i done for when the daddy long legs are about here.

GP tail
    PT knoted legs
    CDC dubbed body
    Muddler head

+ Reply to Thread