Sport fishing column for Oct 26 to Nov 2, 2009

This week we return to Canadian National Fly fishing Championship.

Thursday, September 22, 7:00 AM, Elk River 2 Beat4. There was a frost, the air is cold, the water is cold, and it would be at least an hour before the sun could warm the water surface. The beat was flat with the only visible holding water on the far bank at the bottom end of the beat. My caption's words returned to my mind, my odds were bad. I introduce myself to my controller and found out that for a second time I would be sharing the beat with Terence Courtoreille. Terence does away with the customary flip of the coin and offers me the bottom end of the beat. I except and prepare my rods. The sector judge makes his way to our beat and talks with Terence, then me. In our short discussion I am told that Terence is the best Chez Nymph man in the country. Now I knew why he was able to raise those fish in the beat we had shared yesterday. The whistle sounds; it's time to fish.

I worked the river from shore to bank nothing. Then I here branches breaking in the bush in front of me. "That's a bear," I say to myself as I look toward the sound and wait for the bear to come out. The sound of breaking brush continues as the animal parallel's the river scaring ducks out of the under brush. After awhile I decide that it must be a large dog given that it doesn't come out of the bush. My confidence restored I move close to the bank to fish a fishy looking slot. No sooner do I start fishing the slot when the bear walks out into clearing twelve feet in front of me.

To be continued

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is slow. Until we get a more settled weather pattern keep an eye on the barometer and work the upward swings. Try: Chironomid, Professor, Nations Black, Baggy Shrimp, Carey Special, Souboo, Zulu, Halfback, Caddis Nymph, Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Doc Spratley, or Dragonfly Nymph.

Our mid and lower elevation interior lakes are fishing AAA. This is it; big feed before ice over. Try: Chironomid, Nations Silver Tip, Sixpack, 52 Buick, Butlers Bug, Pheasant Tail Nymph, Big Black, Damsel Nymph, Dragon Nymph, Green Spratley, Caddis Nymph, or Baggy Shrimp.

The Fraser River is good for spring, Coho, cutthroat, and chum. For Coho try: Coho Blue, Christmas Tree, green or black Wooly Bugger, Bite Me, Blue Christmas, or Rolled Muddler. For spring try: Big Black, Popsicle, Squamish Poacher, GP, Flat Black or Eggo. For cutthroat try: Stickleback, Rolled Muddler, Mickey Finn, Tied Down Minnow, Professor, Lioness, Coachman, Sixpack, Zulu, or Souboo. For chum try: Eggo, purple Wooly Bugger, Squamish Poacher, Mat green, Dec 25, Red Bull, Flat Black, or dark Popsicle.

The Stave River is good for cutthroat, chum, rainbow, coho, and spring. For rainbow try: Eggo, red Spratley, red Carey, Mickey Finn, Royal Coachman, Zulu, or Black Gnat.

The Vedder River is good for rainbow, chum, and coho.

The Harrison River is good for chum, coho, spring, and cutthroat.

Until the next time, "Keep your fly in the water".