+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staying out of the water on small streams?

Default Staying out of the water on small streams?

I fish most for trout in small (10-20 feet width) streams and try to stay on the bank except when I must get in the water to make the cast, as for example when the brush is hanging over the bank. As a result, most casts I make are roll casts.

Almost all other anglers I see are standing in the middle of the stream.

My question: Where do you prefer to position yourself on small streams--on the bank or in the water?
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

I prefer to stay out of the water when I can. By this I mean that I try to stay out of the water I'm fishing. For example, if I'm fishing a small mountain stream for brookies, I'll stand in the pool below the pool I'm fishing or on the bank when I can. I may be in the water when I'm in the pool below but generally there is a small plunge from one pool to another. I always assume that the less you let a fish know that you are there, the better chance you have of catching it.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

I guess it all depends on where the fish are holding. I never wade when I don't have to, but my goal is to get to the fish.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Definitely on the bank whenever possible. If I have to step in the water to cast I'll try to stay as far from the "fishy" water as possible.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Stay out of the water except when you have to go in. Many times the fish are right where you want to walk into the stream.

Sometime though with a high bank and no other way to approach the hole without being silhouetted against the sky, getting into position by being in the water then becomes an important alternative for me.

Also in my state the stream is like the sidewalk. As long as your feet are wet, you are not tresspassing. While I don't take advantage of this often, it is one more approach to inaccessible water.

Don't forget the wading staff, even on smaller spring creeks. Sometimes 2 foot wide and 3 foot deep.

Rick

Back in my early days of flyfishing and living in West Yellowstone, MT, I was fishing the Box Canyon stretch of the Henry's Fork with Bob Jacklin and friends and, after stepping into the river and fishing for about fifteen minutes from the middle of the river, I cast back towards the bank, about right where I stepped into the river, and hooked the largest trout of my life!
    Goes to show that no matter the size of the water the fish may be right under your feet, so wade with care, or not at all if possible.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Wink Another Angle

I fish a lot of small streams, at least what we consider small in SE Idaho and Western Montana.

I have a distinct preference to stay out of the water whenever possible to minimize my effect on the streambed and residents, meaning aquatic insects and their habitat.

Having said that, in the final analysis, my approach is dictated by casting angles and how best to get the fly to where I know ( sight fishing ) or believe ( fishing the water ) the fish are. If that can be done from the bank, that is where I'll be. If it requires wading, that's what I'll do. Streamside foliage and overhead cover, wind speed and direction, and current speed and variety all come into the mix.

John
    The fish are always right.

Stay out, if possible, but it's not always possible on small mountain streams.

Look, anybody who's fished more than twice knows to stay out of the water when possible, but as Nick Lyons put it (I think it was Lyons - maybe it was Gierach or Babb), for some of us, flyfishing is just an excuse to go stand in a river.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HCR View Post
    I fish most for trout in small (10-20 feet width) streams
    That describes half of the South Platte River or better.

I stay on the bank whenever possible. I find enough ways to fall in without actually helping the body of water.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

+ Reply to Thread