+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Feedback on Greg Senyo's Wiggle Stone

Default Feedback on Greg Senyo's Wiggle Stone

Has any body fished these...Interesting concept I am in the process of tying
    some up... looking for feedback on how they preformed!
    Flyfisher121
    Last edited by Flyfisher121; 10-24-2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: misspelled name

ff121 -

Since I had never heard of this fly, and fished big stonefly nymphs a LOT when I lived in Idaho, I googled it. Here is a link for others who come to this thread.

http://flyandfloatfishing.com/flytyi...ggle_stone.htm

I obviously have no experience with this fly. However, having watched really good fly fishermen and fly tiers for several hours virtually every Saturday morning from November through February at Jimmy's All Seasons Angler in Idaho Falls for five or six years, never having seen anyone tie this fly tells me it surely didn't catch on in SE Idaho. And that is a place where a good stonefly nymph pattern is going to get a lot of attention, what with the South Fork of the Snake and the Henry's Fork right there in the back yard.

Senyo's comments in the above link make for a good sales pitch. But the reality is that the fly hasn't made its way very far west, best I can tell. Not saying it is not a good fly, and it is an interesting tie, except for that big vacant spot between the thorax area and abdomen, just saying that quite a few other patterns have gotten the attention of the fly tiers and fishermen in that area.

It will be interesting to hear what others have to say about the fly.

John

P.S. I also checked www.westfly.com and found no reference to this pattern.
    Last edited by JohnScott; 10-24-2009 at 05:07 PM.
    The fish are always right.

I believe he first started offering them through Orvis...and now has a whole series of wiggle nymphs.

Really is an articulated fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfisher121 View Post
    Has any body fished these...Interesting concept I am in the process of tying
    some up... looking for feedback on how they preformed!
    Flyfisher121

I have fished wiggle nymphs since 1986 and they do indeed catch fish. I have a special jig made to bend wire to tie the tail portion of the fly to eliminate the use of a second hook that must be cut off. My nymphs also don't have the open gap in the middle like the ones shown in the above link.

There are flies that will do better day in and day out that are easier and quicker to tie. An important attribute when fishing for steelhead or tieing flies for the commercial market.

fishbum

Default Thanks

Thankyou,
    I thought there might be some good information... and indeed opinions that
    make sense I will let you guys know if I just can't keep the fish off the
    Fly ! LOL
    Flyfisher121

Default Putting a wiggle in your fly pattern....

I forgot where I learned this "Tying Tip", but it does work....

If you are looking to put a wiggle in your wet, nymph, streamer fly patterns.
    all you have to do, is affix the wing/wingcase upside down. The concave side (bottom side which is dull) of the hackle, when faced upward, will cause the hook shank to wiggle (wobble) in the water.

~Parnelli

"I am starting to think that I am developing "Sometimer's Disease", sometimes I remember things, and then there are other times, when I do not remember things"!
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 10-27-2009 at 07:49 PM.

Smile

It is a creative tie, but stone fly nymphs live in fast water so trout don't have but a blink to decide if its edible.

If stone flies swam in still water it might be an advantage

I've tied damsel fly nymphs...among others.... using the technique ...haven't fished them enough to have an opinion.

+ Reply to Thread