I started with flex coat light and it worked OK -- had to flame it to get it smooth but still had some ripples. Never got the nice build and smooth finish that I wanted although it was acceptable.

Then tried permagloss. Without questions it is the easiest to use -- goes on easy, dries fast but I didn't like it because it didn't build up the way I wanted it to. After many layers, it still didn't build up -- looked the same as the first coat. After talking to another rod builder, he said it is primarily designed for bamboo rods where you don't typically want the build up and tapered out wraps. I hated the way the rod came out and finally I ended up applying Thread Master Lite over the permagloss and was able t o get the finish I wanted. Now the rod looks pretty good.

Now, I primarily use Thread Master Lite. I like the smooth finish and how it is somewhat self leveling. I have found that it is sensitive to mixing ratio, time of mixing and temperature. As long as you pay attention to detail, it comes out really nice- smooth as glass and blends into the blank really nicely. Flaming not needed.

Hope this helps.