+ Reply to Thread

Thread: furled leaders for steelhead

Default furled leaders for steelhead

Spent the day building furled leaders for steelhead. Tried Mono, really not getting it. Just can't after several leaders get it right. I believe it was John Scott that said try kelver thread. Well I did. Wow what a dream to furl. No strech what so ever and when it is twisting it just pulls the drill and I hang on LOL. the shorp loop is easy to get really small and it holds with no problems. The stuff seems to hold the furl really good. What I mean by that is When it is done furling and you take the weights off it does not move. Everything seem if you will to lock in place. Anyway I am off to the local sportsman warehouse to buy more thread.

ever tried power pro?

just ordered one from a place that does leaders that is made of it and it casts great by itself, I'll get it out on the water this weekend. It's a little stiffer than the standard thread ones that I've used.
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

Quote Originally Posted by harleybob87 View Post
    ... kelver thread. .... Wow what a dream to furl. No strech what so ever and when it is twisting it just pulls the drill and I hang on LOL. the shorp loop is easy to get really small and it holds with no problems. The stuff seems to hold the furl really good. What I mean by that is When it is done furling and you take the weights off it does not move. Everything seem if you will to lock in place. Anyway I am off to the local sportsman warehouse to buy more thread.
    Bob -

If it's not too late, hold off on that trip to Sportsman. I've got several spools of Kevlar that I can send to you if rusty red, orange and yellow are suitable colors for you. If you haven't tried mixing the colors, you can get some pretty neat looks by doing so.

I did like the Kevlar leaders for being a bit stiffer, and no question they are STRONG, but overall I still prefer and now fish almost exclusively leaders furled from 210 Danville Flymaster.

Anyway, PM me your mailing address and I'll get them off to you by early next week.

John
    The fish are always right.

Bob, remember there will be no give in those leaders.

duckster I know they have no give. The only place i will be using them is steelheading in the Salmon River. Maybe the Rhonde if I get up there.

I've made some out of Spiderwire Stealth 8lb test. Again no stretch, Good when setting the hook is important. Use them for bass and stripers..
    Member FFF , TU, MTFF
    Ron

Cold Guest

Tried using mono furled leaders for steelhead a few weeks ago. While they might be perfect for you, they're virtually useless in the tight confines and shale beds of the Lake Erie tribs. As soon as you hook up and the fish makes its first run, it drags your leader across all that sharp shale.

The first one I used lasted a total of about 20 minutes and 1 hookup before it was frayed to the point that I didnt want to use it.

Just figured I'd save other GL steely fishermen the aggrivation on that one.

+ Reply to Thread