+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: are you tech savvy...

Hybrid View

Normand Guest

Default are you tech savvy...

...or still in the stone age??

i have a desktop and laptop computer (networked wirelessly), ipod, blackberry, gps, 46 inch hdtv, xm radio in the car (no commercials) etc

The only computer I have is a desktop, and the only thing my cellphone does is make/receive phone calls. With all the commercials on the boob-tube, sometimes I feel like getting rid of that. There is a reason they call me Lotech.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    The only computer I have is a desktop, and the only thing my cellphone does is make/receive phone calls. With all the commercials on the boob-tube, sometimes I feel like getting rid of that. There is a reason they call me Lotech.
    ...............Ditto..................and I have an in dash cassette player in my truck for tunes....
    ............I like the stone age better.............ModocDan

I'm slowly getting more 'savy' but don't have many of the newer gadgets...

Desktop that my wife maintains..I use it to come here and things like that, but if it breaks I yell 'HONEY' and get out of the way...

No laptop (both the wife and daughter have those, however).

Wireless network in the house so the girls can use their laptops where ever they want to (see above about maintenance). Remember that old joke about where a 400 gorilla deficates? Anyplace they want to...

DVD player but still have lots of stuff on VHS, so have a VHS player too.

TVs are all older, no HD yet, but the kid keeps pushing for one and I'm helpless when the girls decide to spend my money...

Cell phone is a 4 year old Razor..wife picked it out, kid set it up and gave me the basic instructions...I can even find stuff in the phone book thingy so I don't have to remember all my numbers! THEY get new phones every year or so, and I think they like them 'cause every time I try to actually talk to them, their heads are burried in their phone screens...something about web browsing on the phones...more interesting than me, obviously.

I do have a nice CD player in my truck..bought the truck used, came with the stereo. My daughter found me some classic rock tunes on some website ('I like tunes' or something like that, I know there's an 'I' in it someplace 'cause they are always talking about it) and actually downloaded them onto a CD for me...don't know if I'm gonna get arrested or not (if I get pulled over, I hide the CD under the seat, just in case...), but the music is nice. Luckily, the stereo also has a radio in it, so I can occasionally get the ballgame....

Now that I think about it, I think I live in the 'tech savy' world, but I was imported frrom the stoneage...

Buddy

It Just Doesn't Matter....

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    ...or still in the stone age??

i have a desktop and laptop computer (networked wirelessly), ipod, blackberry, gps, 46 inch hdtv, xm radio in the car (no commercials) etc

I run my own network at home with internet server and a media server (no more cds or dvds) hooked into a 52 in. 1080p HD monitor with 7.1 surround sound with all 7 plugged into a 600 watt amp. There are a total of 5 workstations on my home network, 2 of which are laptops, with 3 printers, an internet capable fax and scanner, 3 win2k8 servers with a total storage capacity of over 5 TB all behind a vpn capable firewall which means I can access my network from anywhere in the world. My phone recieves email from two different company networks and my own, can shoot stills, video and has gps. I own 2 10 plus megapixels DSLRs, one also shoots video in 720p HD. I could go on but suffice to say this is what I do for a living.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

What a timely thread - I want to get a laptop for when we travel, and don't know what to get. Only need something for internet access, either wifi or cell. I'd like to get something refurbished since I wouldn't use it much. Can you gurus tell me what the terminology is for the accessibility - is it some kind of a port? And what do I need for a router to use it at home ? I fall somewhere along Lotech in toys.

Blog Entries

Cool

Kerry....... Man could I use you right about now. I took my computer into Staples to get it fixed. The power supply was completely dead. Got a new better one with two fans instead of one installed. The tech told me it is a way better power supply than the original. They retrieved my data for an extra $80.00 and some other charges I have not a clue about. Total $338.00 . Crap if I had known it was gonna be that much I'd have bought a new one for $399.
    I Take the thing home and everything worked swell except for windows wouldn't load. So back to the store. They fixed it free this time, so I take it home again. Nope it doesn't work. Now it will go on line for about 10 minutes then shut down and refuse to work online. Reboot fixes the problem for another 10 minutes then back off line. I take it back again. They fix it, again for free. I bring it home again, does it work? Well, Yes it works swell now, except it will not let me download my Mcafee suite virus checker and firewall etc. Nor will it let me access the built in Norton program that came with the puter when it was new. It says I still have the first 60 days free virus protection and firewall. So tomorrow I'm off to Staples to try again.

Yep sure could use you around here.

I am about the same as Joe, I got annoyed with having a cell phone. I was at the Dump.............. pardon me, the sanitary landfill when the darn thing rang for about the 5th time that morning. Another blankety blank tele-marketer............ I got so PO'd I flung it into the big bin with the other garbage. As people around me looked on with amusement I had a giggle fit when it started to ring down there amidst the garbage. One guy gave me a knowing look, walked over and dumped a can of garbage right on top of it, You could just barely hear it ringing then. We both laughed some more at that. A couple of guys even clapped at the two of us.

My vcr still blinks 12:00 PM.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Toshiba has a nice laptop with a 360 gig hard drive, 3 gig of operating memory and comes with Windows Vista $498. Only takes a few minutes to set up and you're off and running. Comes with built in WebCam.

I deleted all the free trial stuff and freed up almost 2 gig.

Fatman

Sorry they carry them at WalMart and sometimes you can pick one up $25 cheaper at Best Buy but they WILL NOT order one for you, first come first serve.

Fatman

Normand Guest

so the question is "are you tech savvy......or still in the stone age??

requests for what to buy should be another thread!

+ Reply to Thread