For me, lots of materials handle better when wet, or at least damp.

Marabou is one of them, but I like to 'wet' a few other feathers and furs: saddle hackles for decievers and bass bug tails, artic fox, craft fur, etc. to keep them more manageable when using them.

I know that lots of other folks do this as well.

In another thread, there was link to a video where a tyer was 'licking' the materials or runing them through his mouth to wet them.

I'm not so sure that this is a good idea....

A week or so ago, I was tying up a prototype for a fly that has been circulating in the brain for while, and I wanted to get it onto a hook before I lost the concept.

I usually keep a wet sponge in a container on my bench when working wth marabou or any material that needs wetting...

But, here in Arizona, things dry out rather quickly this time of year and the sponge was dry.

I was only going to tie one fly, and I'm basically lazy, so I just figured I could could use my mouth to 'wet' the marabou...

Worked as far as the wetting went...tasted terrible when I ran the feathers through my mouth. A few minutes later, tip of tongue and inside of lips went kind of numb.

Lasted more than a day. Couldn't taste my food (those who know me know how much I love to eat)...coffee tasted like water. Unfortunitely for my family and friends, I could still talk...

I have no clue what was in the dye on the feathers I used. Which is pretty much the point here. I know tyers do this, some routinely. But we have absolutley zero control over the chemicals used in producing, or the environment from which they come, on any materials we purchase.

Sticking things like that into your mouth might not be the wisest course of action.

You can still buy a 'stamp sponge' in some places (pretty much going away with self stick stamps) which has it's own nice little container that seals well and helps keep the water from drying out too quickly. Or, you can cut a piece of sponge to fit into a small plastic food container with a lid so that you can reseal it after use. Neither of these options will cost more than a couple of dollars and will work well. So will just putting some water in a small bowl before each tying session where you'll need it.

Up to each of you, of course.

Buddy