Well, it's a done deal.......Savage Rapids Dam on the Rogue River here in Oregon, between Grant's Pass and the city of Rogue River is gone after more than 60 years.... Removal was completed last week, and immediately dozens of rafters, boaters, kayakers and such had to run the newly restored Savage Rapid immediately. Sadly, two parties wrecked their boats, and two fellas drowned. The driftboat is still sunk in the river waiting for a boat salvage outfit from Redmond, OR to come fetch it. The folks who have waterside homes on the 14 miles or so upstream from the old damsite now have useless docks and boatramps high and dry 15 or 20 feet above the river. You can go to the Medford Mail Trubune or the Grants Pass Daily Courier websites for the whole story......Very controversial.
Next up................Gold Ray Dam above Gold Hill Oregon on the Rogue River. The backwaters of that dam is known as Kelly Slough. The final decision on that dam is up in the air yet...Same two newspapers are keeping folks up to speed on the battle over it.
As for me, I really don't have enough information to have a considered opinion just yet.
However, the stretch for the first few miles below Gold Ray is some of my favorite steelhead water, and Kelly slough is great bass & trout fishin' from a boat.....
.................................................. ......................ModocDan