Hello. I just registered and thought I would take a moment to introduce myself. My name is David and I am a resident of Washington state, but this past summer moved to Rome for the purpose of working on a graduate degree in theology. I have been an avid flyfisherman the past three years, fishing all over the PNW and Montana, mostly for trout, but some steelhead as well. I have frequented this board fairly regularly as an outside observer, and have been impressed with the tone and deameanor of the posts here. Everyone seems to treat each other with respect, and that is not something you always see on forums such as this one. With that, I have learned a lot from this website and hope maybe in the future I can contribute something myself to those who come here.

With that, I do have a question regarding the flyfishing opportunities in Europe. This is my first time in Europe (I have been living in Rome since the end of August), and have not yet managed to get out and fish. I am having a difficult time getting started, particularly in finding out where to go and how to access the public streams in this part of the world. Much of the fishing seems to be private, or requires a guide, and as a grad student, money is tight. If anyone could offer me some information on rivers to fish in Europe, specifically in Italy, would be most appreciated. Traveling by air to different countries in Europe is very cheap, so I can get to most anyhere. The problem is knowing where to go to fish once I get there. I will be here for a total of four years, so hopefully at the end of those four years, I will be able to learn enough about the fishing here to offer some of you some assistance should you ever need it. Of course, if anyone has questions related to the fishing in the PNW, please let me know. I'd be glad to offer any assistance that I can. Peace.

David