My husband had thyroid cancer a few years back. The scans you are going through are easy - swallow a pill, wait for a while, then lay on a table why you are scanned. These scans will show how your thyroid is functioning and will give the doctors more information as to how to procede. Have the done any needle biopsies? That will test for the cancer more than anything. With my husband, the doctor decided to surgically remove his thyroid because the tumor wasn't taking up any iodine so they could use chemical ablation to get rid of it. When they removed the thyroid and biopsied it, that was when they found the cancer (three places the size of a pin head). He then underwent the big radioactive ablation. The worst part of that was the 2 week diet, being off his thyroid meds for 3 weeks, and being separated from his family while he was radioactive. The only effects he experienced from the radiation pill was a metallic taste in his mouth. Let me know if you need recipes for the diet, I've got some great ones that will help when the time comes. Hang in there! We were told that if you're going to have cancer, thyroid cancer is the easiest to treat and get rid of. I'll pray for you!