Hey,
I'm looking to get into fly fishing and am looking for some suggestions and reviews of beginner 8'6" 5wt. rods and applicable reels.
I would like to narrow it down to a few top brands; research models; test one (not that I know what to look for but purely go by general feel); and then decide based upon all of those criteria and price.
My situation is that I've never fly fished but have been taking time this winter to both read about it and talk with others about it. I haven't found any information pointing me in a definitive direction to this point.
I was looking at the following...
1. Cabela's: Genesis Fly-Fishing Outfit @ $149.99 Each rod and reel combo with case and also includes:A Scientific Anglers Headstart? weight-forward fly line and 100 yards of backing, One bottle of Scientific Anglers fly floatant, Floatant holder, Two tapered leaders, Nippers, Forceps, Two small retractors for forceps and nippers, Strike indicators, Split-shot assortment, Leader straightener, Fly assortment, Chestpack to store all your equipment. *This I have heard differing reviews about of late however.
2. L.L. Bean: ?
3. St. Croix: ?
4. Orvis: ?
5. Cortland: ?
Out of the above the Cabela's Genesis seems to be of the best value and for the others I have left question marks as I am unsure of the model but would lean towards the cheapest for each with applicable titles for each lost to me at this point. Also, have heard good things about these companies in particular.
Am I off base with this direction? What other options should I explore? Opinions on these or other rod and reel companies? Should I get a 2 piece or a 4 piece rod? Also, please keep in mind I would like to be able to be prepped to begin fly fishing for less than $250 including rod, reel, case, backing, line, leader, tippet, floatant, strike indicator, leader straightener, and fly assortment and am I missing any essentials?
I know that was quite a mouthful and even worse to read let alone reply to but any help would be greatly appreciated and taken to thought befor I take to making a purchase.
Also, from what I had read I was leaning towards a 8'6 5wt but that seems really long as my trout spinning rod is like 5 ft long and I was just reading on llbean.com about 3wt and 4wt being more for small stream which is what i'll be hitting, most of the streams I hit are pretty small with alot of trees on the sides and above, will the 8'6 5wt be too big or should i look smaller and if so how small?
Thanks so much. Sorry for my rambling but I am just trying to soak up as much information as I can before I make the leap.
Sincerley,
Chris

------------------
"Live Free Or Die!"
-General John Stark