+ Reply to Thread

Thread: THE BIG ONE - Ladyfisher - October 19, 2009

Blog Entries

Default THE BIG ONE - Ladyfisher - October 19, 2009

THE BIG ONE

Presentation vs imitation. An argument finding both sides wrong, and Dee has the references to back up her claim.

Great article LF. It got me to do the search for Gary's Borgers book. Too bad it's out of print. If one wants it, they'll have to dig deep! $$$

I wonder if Gary would consider a reprint.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Default Wow

You were so right I checked Amazon and the , Presentation by Gary Borger
    ranges in price from $87 to 359 Great subject LF!
    Flyfisher121

Default Gary Borger videos

For any that want videos By Gary Borger they are on nymph fishing on
    www.hook.tv
    Flyfisher121

Default Great Article. Always building bridges...that's Deanna.

Coincidentally, another forum and another thread: the secret to catching more fish. The question was posed in the framework: if 10% of anglers catch 90% of the fish, what is the big thing(s) that put one in the 10% club or keep you out of it?

Several people said that a keen ability and habit of observation was one of the differentiating factors.

In philosophy, those who approach problem-solving by trying to prove a specific method, system, technology, ideology, etc. sufficient to all tasks if properly applied are referred to as being "dogmatic." And those who seek the most practical solutions from any source are called "ecclectic" or "pragmatic." Old fishermen tend to become philosophers. And the philosophy one brings to fishing will most definitely have a bearing on the outcome.

I've met anglers who refuse to fish "attractors" and insist that they aren't "real flies" because they don't seek first and foremost to match the hatch. I've met anglers who believe and fish by the exact opposite dogma: the attractor...properly applied...will catch any fish, anywhere, anytime. But all of the best anglers I know have fly boxes within arm's reach that contain BOTH attractors and imitations. I have a hunch that this is because their dogmatism is tempered by a healthy dose of pragmatism, and their desire to be successful has led them to an acclectic approach to fly fishing.

Just as there are no real atheists in a foxhole, there are darned few excellent fly anglers who are true dogmatists. I have met a couple who fished as if they were, but when you ask them why their explanations reveal a pragmatically inspired quest through an ecclectic array of styles, tactics, and equipment to a conscious, willful choice to make fly fishing more interesting to themselves by restricting the fishing tools and tactics at their disposal.

Blog Entries

and as the great Yogi Berra said, "You can observe a lot by watching."
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Great article, LF. I've read Gary's book and found it very informative and helpful. My wife instantly became a better caster due to the three-point-grip Gary and his son, Jason advocate. Also, there is a great chapter on leader construction that no nymph fisherman should be without.
    Thanks for sharing this important info.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread