+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old stuff...:)

Question Old stuff...:)

I stopped in a thrift store today and picked up a copy of Art Flicks 1969 (revised) stream side guide, its a hard back cover. It has origanal notes in it from who ever owned it in 1972. I also got some tippet in individual packs in a box. The packs and box are original. They say Paul Buyan Bait shop Min.

I was just wondering so I googled them both, I found info on the original hardback of Artflicks book and on the 1969 edition, but the 1969 only in paperback? I couldn't find anything on a hardback version of it.
    Also I googled up the pauls Bait shop and it seems to be and antique store of some sort but sounds like it deals in just old stuff and does not list tippet of any kind? The packeg is very obvious the origanal packeging and it is from the The Paul Buyan Bait shop in min.?

If any of you have any info on these let me know.

I got the tippet cause they looked cool and I got em for pennies and the Art flick book I got for 6 bucks cause I just wanted to read it.
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

If you go to E-Bay and enter "Art Flick" under books there is one hardcover with a title similiar to your book. Don't know if thats the one or not. You can look inside your book & find the 10 or 13 digit ISBN number and enter it in your search bar and get some hits which may answer you question.

Tim

Blog Entries

Default Art Flick

I found two 1969 Hardcover books for sale at:

http://www.addall.com/

This is a great source for books by the way.

TITLE: Art FLick's New Streamside Guide to Naturals and Their Imitaions
    by Art Flick
    ISBN: B000-O2EXH-0
    ISBN 13: ---
    Publisher: Crown Publishers, Inc.
    Publish Date: 1969
    Binding: Hardcover

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Google Abe's Books. Many hardcover '69 editions of Mr. Flick's book for sale.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Thanks folks, I looked this book over and can not find an IBN number, have found the library of congress number and Crown books 1969 edition, doesn't say anything about a secound printing or third.The cover doesn't look like the cover on the hard back versions of it i have found on the net. The cover is kinda like an aqua blue and green with a large mayfly on the front and its imation in the uper right hand corner with the Arthur and title printed on it as well. Maybe they just din't print as many hardback versions cause it is meant to be carried as a streamside guide so was mostly printed in paper back, as my son would say, iunno. iether way, its a cool little book and I like it...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Talking

Oh and the tippet, I found this and am gonna give them a call to find out whats up? Do they make stuff to look old or was there an original bait shop and it turned into an old stuff store...

Paul Bunyan Fishing and Tackle -- Contact Us
    Paul Bunyan Bait Co. Alan Bakke 1450 Bay Drive SE Forest Lake, MN ... Paul Bunyan Bait Co. Alan Bakke 651-464-1329 abakke@warpdriveonline.com.

It's a long time ago, but seems the first affordable copies of Flicks' book were paperback instead of the hardback ( $1 vs. $5 ) & I used to have one that got carried streamside to identify the hatches & which was a mistake as the paperback got wet. After a while it seemed all the hatches were not for the streams I fished, but for Pennsylania & New York. Have since replaced it with a 1972 6th printing hardback. The thrift shops in the area usually have great finds in fishing literature, as for $2.50 I picked up a 1955 paperback copy of " The Answers To All Fishing " by Ross "Blacky" Black - internationally known & famous dean of fishing : the world's greatest pro & authority on fishing ! The first sentence I flipped to was why I just had to have it : To prove he is the Master Angler, Blacky offers any one person in the Nation $500.00 if they do not, under his instruction, catch a fish on the first cast, in October, 1956. !

saltydancindave, yep your right.... the original price inside the book cover is $4.95. That little book you picked up sounds very interesting, with a promise to catch a fish on your first cast, it has to be good...

Default name

Grubb, for a self published book, Black's definitely into "edges" 2 or many more times per page ! It's a looking glass into the past, just like another Florida Salt Water Fishing book from the 1950's that mentions the "Upperman" jig 2 or many more times per page ! Back to Flicks' Streamside Guide: the 1969 revised edition has chapters added on the Blue Wing Olive, terrestrials & minutiae that aren't in the pre-'67 editions.
    Last edited by saltydancindave; 10-20-2009 at 11:50 PM.

+ Reply to Thread