+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finished my furling board upgrade.

Hybrid View

Default Finished my furling board upgrade.

Got the parts I ordered yesterday. Got it all together, really works nice.

Thanks to Denny, Kaboom 1, Ducksterman, for all the great ideas and information.
    Member FFF , TU, MTFF
    Ron

Ron,

It looks great! Job well done....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Yep, nice work....

Looking forward to some of your observations as you furl.
    Last edited by ducksterman; 10-17-2009 at 03:37 AM.

Default FL History

Very nice work on the new board.
    I hope you get 1/2 the fun from your board as I have from mine.

Thanks needs to be passed onto several who have been responsible for the original concept that started FL as we know them today.
    Hans Weilenmann
    Henk Verhaar
    Claude W. Freaner
    Martin Joergensen
    Jim Hatfield
    Skip Shorb
    Skip & Jim are the ones with the original idea of building the auto board.
    Skip demonstrated his machine at the "Sow bug" in 2002 if I remember correctly. Shortly after Skip devised the "Shorb loop" that many of us use today.
    I am not positive of the year but think it was 2000 that I built my first board.
    Not fancy but did the job until I got too picky. Did not need but "wanted" a board that would do perfect leaders.
    Del Copic from Spokane brought a board to a club meeting here in Spokane.
    He demonstrated his board. Del is a well known Bamboo Rod maker and I have been fortunate to visit he and his wife in their home many times. He got me started on FLs.
    He provided me with a couple URL?s where I got my initial info.
    http://bamboorodmaking.com/html/maki...d_leaders.html
    This one has been book marked on my computer all these years.
    It contains much info for anyone interested in doing your own.
    I am not sure but the info on the above web site is where everyone obtained their info. There are several other sites that were developed later. I know of a few more but always go back to where I got my first knowledge of our FL?s

Enjoy

Denny

Thanks again Denny. I saw Jim and Skip around that same time, in the Chicago area. This is when I first got started in FL. Always wanted an Auto Twisting machine.
    Member FFF , TU, MTFF
    Ron

Judging by the growing numbers of furlers here , at least, and their ( the leaders) relative indestructibility, pretty soon there will be a flood of furled leaders on the market. Supply will outgrow demand and prices will begin to plummet. Furlers will have to form a De Beers Diamond Exchange type of syndicate where they can control the inventory on the market thereby stabilizing ( keeping high) the prices.
    BUT, having said all that, it seems like having a furling board is waaayyyyy toooo large a leap just to make a few leaders for the boards' owner. I'm told that 10 leaders may last a lifetime. SO, you build a board and the first 10 or so leaders and then WHAT?
    I see this as purely a cost-benefit thing. I don't furl my own because it's more economical to buy them. I'd be curious to know how many leaders have "you people" built and what have "you" done with all of them ?
    ALSO, I don't discount that many furlers just enjoy making their own board and leaders regardless of the economics. It's probably just plain fun to many.

Mark

Mark...that's just too pragmatic.

Ron...I just learned today that the gears I use...and Denny... and I assume you too...using the larger diameter gear on the outer pegs ...is a reduction system...4:1...so we are going @ 225 rpms....seems plenty fast to me.....

Edit: my statement is wrong the reduction is in the gear system that is encased in the motor and reduces to 900 rpms...our gears are 1:1

I blew this one...a really late edit...using the large gears they go at 702 rpms...no wonder they seemed fast enough to me .
    Last edited by ducksterman; 01-28-2011 at 07:39 PM.

225rpm? Heck I can screw up a leader with just my little Dremel!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty:
    My Dremel went allot faster than 250 RPM even at the slowest speed. I really like the 250 RPM. Gives me more time to check the leader while furling.

Ducksterman:
    Using the smaller gear on the set would make it run faster. You wouldn't have as much room to work with though. Seems just right the way you guys set it up. I hooked a remote switch up. I can use my magnifying glasses ( old eyes ) and see just when it starts to pig tail. I can then shut it off.
    Member FFF , TU, MTFF
    Ron

Ron,
    I'll have to go downstairs and check the sped on mine! Thank you! You may have finally provided the excuse for my screw-ups!! <certainly couldn't have been my lack of talent!!>
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread