Easy tube fly 'mandrel'..

You can get stainless steel wire 'welding rod' at any welders supply...I use .040 wire...a couple of 3' lengths are about a dollar.

Cut one to 'length' (I can let the 'excess' stick out the back of the vise jaws, so I use about a two inch piece for smaller flies). Bend a sharp 90 degree angle in one end of it, and cut it so that the 'leg' is about 1/8 inch long.

I use Q-tip tubes (500 for a dollar at the dollar store...) for my tube flies...cut the tube with an angle of at least 45 degree at the front end. This will allow the bent leg to engage and keep the tube from spinning as you tie. Tighten by sliding the wire into the vise jaws until the tube butts snugly against the jaws.

Tie your fly on the tube, leaving a quarter inch or so of the tube protruding from the FRONT of the fly...after you are done, trim the tube to length at both ends. With some patterns you can tie several flies on one tube, then cut them apart..doesn't work with a lot of patterns, but when it does it can save a few steps.

I've found that with many smaller hook sizes, you can insert a tapered bodkin into the back of the Qtip tube and enlarge it enough that it will hold the hook securely enough without the 'junction tubing' being needed...this reduces weight and is especially helpful on smaller dry flies.

On some heavier bass flies, I let the tube slide free on the line...the fly stays in place pretty well without the junction tube in most cases like this, and I get fewer snags and better hook ups.

Buddy