+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a winter project....

Default I need a winter project....

I haven't posted much lately, life seems to have gotten in the way.

Now I find myself a bachelor by geography. I just started a new job and will have 9ish months of bore dome to cope with 5 days a week. The weekends are a 4 hr drive home and then packing and getting stuff in storage, then 4hrs back to work Monday morning.

I have been thinking of getting into a bamboo rod, but I haven't found one I could afford.

So I've decided to build one, either from a vintage that needs help or a new blank. The only problem I have come across are that most of the new blanks I can afford are Imported, not saying that's good or bad, I'm just not certain. I would almost rather have a vintage, cheap and fix it up, but I hate dealing with ebay for something like this....

I guess I'm just looking for opinions at the moment.....

Thanks,

Black Co

Blog Entries

Sent you a PM. I might have a deal for you to consider.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

What length(s) and weight(s) would you consider?

Tampa,

Not sure on lengths....my graphite rods(that i regularly fish with) are 6' to 7'6" so really hadn't thought about length on a boo....

Weights I'm looking at are 3-6. Looking to fish for stocker trout and bluegill, maybe the occasional bass when fishing for gill....

You might want to look into making a Banty. Find a three piece 9 foot rod and make a new 6 to 7 foot rod from the middle and tip sections. You can use the ferrule from the butt section and part of the butt section to build a new handle.

I've made a couple of these and they make a nice rod. I've found they usually cast well with a 5 or 6 weight line.

You might want to check out clarkclassicrodforum as those guys live and breathe boo rods.

Dave

Cabela's has their five-piece "Stowaway" blanks on sale for $19.88 ... they meet your requirements.

If you go on the big auction site you will find a great many bamboo fly rods listed. Some will be junk and others will be O.K. If you concentrate on Montague, Horrocks-Ibbotson, or South Bend you should be able to pick up a 9 foot rod for not too much money that you can rework into a 6 foot banty rod. Just make sure that the mid section and the tips are full length.

The address for Clark's is http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/directory
    Walt

<bwa ha ha ha! He's inching ever so close to that door of no return ... to the dark side ! Bwahahaha! Come near my little cutie!!>
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Tampa, The stowaway blanks at Cabela's would work fine, but I really want to try my hand at a 'boo rod.

A banty is a good idea, I hadn't thought about that. I'll start looking into that now. Thanks for the suggestions waltryan and dave

Betty, I've been thinking about a bamboo rod since I started fly fishing. I just couldn't afford the cost of a new rod... now I have several ideas for cost effective Boo, and LOTS of free time, so I decided to take the plunge.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Welcome to the dark side.
    Walt

+ Reply to Thread