+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help finding a 4 weight line.

Default Need help finding a 4 weight line.

I got a new 4 weight winston for christmas and am having a hard time finding a line for it. It is called the stalker it is a glass rod very slow action its a rod that you could take a drink of your beer while making your back cast. I tried a 4 delta a 4 platnim dt airflo then went to a dt 4 wonderline. The wonderline seems to be the best. I know that a wf won't work at all it makes the tip act like a bouncey ball. Need some other suggestions for a line for that rod.

------------------
    Alex

Well Alex I am sure you will get a ton of suggestions. Favorite fly line is almost as passionate a topic as who has the best website.

While I don't have the type of rod you do, I have always preferred Cortland's 444 Classic or peach when it comes to double tapered lines. Especially on glass rods. I've heard that their Sylk line is also nice as well.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

you may want to try out a Wulff Triangle Taper.
    I found no happy times with airflo.
    Later,
    Peter

blue gill,

I'll toss in a recommendation for the Cortland 444SL in a DT.

Allan

Like anglerdave says, there is no right line for everybody. Probably, your best bet would be to go to your favorite fly shop and see if they have any demo lines reeled up for testing. Try them out if possible. That's how I found that an S/A Mastery Series GPX works best on my 7'9" 3 wght homemade slow action, and my 7'4" 4 wght Gatti fast action. Both lines are actually WF's. Good luck on whatever you find.
    God Bless,

------------------
    Life, is the time He gave you to determine where you want to spend eternity.
    ----------
    Lotech Joe
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

My recommendation would be a Scientific Angler Air Cel Supreme 2. If you're looking at warmwater situations, I would stay away from the Cortland Sylk.

Another vote for the Wulff Triangle Taper. It's the line I put on all my cane rods with an action similar to your Winston.

Bill O.

------------------
    [url=http://www.oysterbamboo.com:d5cce]www.oysterbamboo.com[/url:d5cce]

I know weight forwards won't work it makes the rod tip bounce makes for ineresting tailing loops to. The triangle didin't work either and I like triangle on winston they are made for each other but this rod laughed at me. I do most of my fishing in tail waters not worried about warm water. Thinking of trying a dt sylk line by cortland or a dt SA mastery so many lines and there all different never had a rod that is this picky. The dang thing is worse than my x girlfriend but I think I will keep the rod.

The most difficult rod to line that I have is a 4 wt 4 pc I built on a H&H IM6 blank. After trying several 4 wt lines on the rod (DT, WF and different brands) I tried a 5 wt...I could tell the rod was over lined, it seemed to bend to deeply and had a hard time dampening.
    I came across a Joan Wulff signature series TT5...the line is different that regular TT line, orange and white...Both JC and Ron Kusse cast this line on a 5 wt rod and both agreed the rod was underlined....I believe the line is a 4 1/2 wt or there abouts.
    The line works well on the 4 wt H&H, it seems to be made for that rod. Although the rod will never be a fav of mine it is now at least fishable. And being a 4 pc...I'll keep it.

Blue Gill,

Thanks for starting this thread. I have wanted to replace the line on my 4wt as well. While mine isn't that slow, I think I have found good advice here.

I just found Scientific Angler Air Cel Supreme 2 WF-4-F at $20. I figured it's worth trying for that.

Lux

------------------
    If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

+ Reply to Thread