+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what is a furled leader?

Hybrid View

Default what is a furled leader?

Hi guys
    I have read a forum thread about furled leaders what are they ? information for the uneducated in far of New Zealand How do you use them and who is Kathy?
    Cheers Steve
    Last edited by fishwid; 10-15-2009 at 05:41 PM.

It is a leader made from thinner elements, either tying thread or mono that are twisted such that they "furl". The furled sections are interlocked so that they elements at the butt of the leader are made of more threads, and they gradually form a taper as fewer and fewer threads are used for furling in the more distal section. There is a loop at each end of the leader, one to attach to the fly line and the other to attached to a separate tippet section.

Kathy is a fly fisher who has made a DVD on furling leaders and also a kit that supplies the basic tools to make your own.

Some folks swear by them because they lay out well on a cast.

Here are articles on how to make them:

http://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/T...ed_leader.html

http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/may2006/185
    Last edited by Silver Creek; 10-15-2009 at 05:54 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Cold Guest

This place should be alternately titled "Furled Leaders OnLine".

Kathy Scott is a member who advocates the use of furled leaders and sells a c. d. on making them. This link will allow you to send her a message if you wish to buy one http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/member.php?u=2771:
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Normand Guest

Blog Entries

To continue where Rainbowchaser left off on Kathie Scott...
    Kathy is on of the nicest people I've ever met in a fish camp or fly shop, and that is saying quite a bit. She is a talented author. She and her sister (another person of an execeptionally pleasant personality) have known about Jack Hise since they were young and don't appear to have been emotionally scarred... To the contrary, she introduced Jack to furling leaders.

Regards,
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Cold View Post
    This place should be alternately titled "Furled Leaders OnLine".
    Too late...
    http://furledleaders.proboards.com/index.cgi?

fishwid

I have more manners that Betty, so I'll say welcome to FAOL before I reply.

Kathy Scott is also a teacher. And from what I can tell if I had one like her when I was in school, I might have paid more attention than what I did. Her husband is also a talented cane rod maker.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Smile Greetings, Steve ....

.... and welcome to the Bulletin Board from Lolo, Montana. Great to have another member from down under, along with Jeff Hamm and Mike Thomas, and I hope I am not forgetting anyone ??!!

Just to expand on the previous posts, it is usual to have what is called a shorb loop on the butt end of the leader to do a loop to loop connection to your fly line. It is also common to have the shorb loop on the tip end of the leader to make a loop to loop connection to the tippet you use. However, it is just as common to have a small ring added to or incorporated into the tip end of the leaders to which you attach the tippet.

Also, it seems the majority of the people using furled leaders prefer them to float, unless they are nymphing or fishing wets flies. A minority of us prefer the leader to be submerged, even when fishing dry flies. For example, I use a thread furled leader made out of Danville 210 Flymaster Plus fly tying thread ( using a method quite different from Kathy Scott's ) which submerges but even then will not sink a size 20 dry fly. My experience and thinking is that a leader absorbing all the currents between the fly line and the fly in THREE DIMENSIONS results in a better drift than a floating leader which can only absorb the currents in two dimensions ( I would write "two dimensions" in smaller letters, if I could, but I don't know how ).

There are a good number of previous threads on the Bulletin Board which go into a lot of detail not only on how to make furled leaders, but also how to make the boards or jigs used to make the leaders. The methods used vary from simple twisting mechanisms to motorized jigs which fall only a bit short of fully automated furling jigs.

John
    The fish are always right.

I'm jumping into this thread a little late but wanted to chime in.

If you are interested in learning how to make furled leaders I highly recommend Kathy Scott's DVD. After you learn Kathy's technique its easy (and fun) to experiment with other lengths, tapers, etc. Kathy's DVD is well worth the small price tag.

If you are not interested in furling leaders get a hold of Kathy anyway and buy her books. Her books are outstanding. I have all 3 and they will always have a charished place on my book shelf. (I only wish she would hurry up and write another one.) I hope to have the pleasure of meeting her husband David someday as well. I feel I've gotten to know David a bit through Kathy's books and would like to meet him.

Oh, and by the way, Kathy is one of the finest people I've ever had the pleasure of getting to know. Knowing Kathy as I do, I'm sure all of the praise we are heaping on her are embarassing her. (Too bad Kat. Learn to deal with it!)

Royce

+ Reply to Thread